Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak Leaf turning brown

Posted by mminla 9A (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 9:43

I am having an issue with my oak leaf. Most all the leaves have dropped. The few that are still green and remaining are srarting to curl and all the blooms are brown. All other plants in the area are doing well. It has been an extremely hot summer, over 100 for about a month. At first I thought it was dry but I have been watering. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak Leaf turning brown

Lack of moisture could be a cause for all the browning if leaf browning is occuring everywhere. Maintaining the soil moist -not wet; not dry- should be the goal. Mulch can help and so can using the finger method.

Overwatering could also be a cause. If the roots remain wet for too long, oakleafs are notorious for getting root rot. The symptoms would mimic the ones of lack of water because rotted roots cannot absorb water well and the growth above ground browns out. Once root rot has taken a hold, there is not much that one can do. Watering only when the soil feels almost dry or dry helps. Use of mulch (3-4") helps. Planting above ground in raised beds helps if you have clay soil (clay soil drains poorly).

Winter damage can also be a cause browning during the summer time but I doubt you would see this issue in Zone 9 to this degree and I would expect it to be limited to some stems, not thru all the plant. Oakleafs are cold hardy to Zone 5.

In addition to moisture problems, the hydrangea leaf curler can cause leaf curling; fungal infections such as powdery mildew can cause curling as well.

Luis

o
RE: Oak Leaf turning brown

• Posted by ditas z5-Iowa (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 10:42

Hi - I lost my 3y/o Pee Wee Oakleaf after surviving a center-cane split from the 36" snow-pile ... mended, healed & gave me more than a doz cluster blossoms!!! Alas came nightly storms followed by steamy days in Jul ... planted at the bottom of a slope -AM sun site ... it was wet feet, as Luis posted.

Left him there for a while hoping for revival ... by end of Aug I replaced him w/ a potted Nikko-cane I succeeded to root & flowered ... should be happy in that site!!! Fingers XX'd!!!

Good luck ... (BTW - which Oakleaf do you have?)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here