Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happens to Limelight flowers that are not deadheaded?

Posted by gardenerzone4 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 11 at 9:45

What happens to Limelight if it's not deadheaded at all? What happens to the dried flower from last year? Do the florets drop off by themselves? Does the wind get them?

I deadheaded this spring, right before bud break, all the dried flower heads that I had left on over winter for interest. In doing so, I naturally shortened some tall center stems, and pruned for a round sideways egg shape.

This summer, it occurred to me as I was being miserly in cutting the shortest stem possible to bring into the house that if I hadn't deadheaded at all in the spring, maybe I could have much longer stems to cut now. Is that logical?

Most of my giant flowers are on tall shoots that grow straight up from the plant. Those are precisely the shoots that I shortened the most in my spring deadheading/shaping. So if instead of shortening the stems once in the spring while deadheading last year's flowers and once again now while taking flower cuttings, should I have just not deadheaded at all and waited till now to take extra-long stemmed flowers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happens to Limelight flowers that are not deadheaded?

True deadheading means that you just nip the dead flowers off. You went beyond that - as you said - and got into actual pruning. Sounds like the pruning stimulated some growth as you have seen.

If you just stick strictly to deadheading then you should not have the same situation next year. Just nip right under the base of the flower to remove it.

Hope that helps.

o

What happens if you don't even cut the flowers off? Do they end up falling off on their own? How does nature take care of it?

o

Yes, they eventually just fall off.

o

I don't really deadhead them in the spring.
I just grab hold of the old blooms and pull upwards and the entire flower comes off in one piece without actually shortening the stem itself at all.
Then I thin and shape however I want but the stems don't have to be shortened/pruned at all unless I choose to do so.

o

I also tend not to deadhead. While I do not record when do the blooms fall, I notice them thru December so sometime in January -or later- they must fall down on their own. By early Spring, I would think that if you just touch them, anything still clinging will fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here