Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prunning Buttons and Bows

Posted by sandcastle11 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 10:07

I have a beautiful Buttons and Bows that I planted this year. Looks like it is doing great so far but the bottoms branches that had all of the blooms on them, are all floppy and basically laying on the ground. The rest of the bush is upright and looks vigorous. My question is can I/ should I prune these branches back to get them off the ground, or should I just leave them alone.

I am fairly new to growing Hydrangeas and my only other one at this point is a Pinky Winky that is (and I realize should be) much more upright in it's growth.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prunning Buttons and Bows

You may want to use individual stakes to give them support or put chicken wire close to the stems to keep them upright. As they get older, they will get stronger. If you wish to cut them off completely for aesthethic reasons, you could also do that. The worst that could happen is that it triggers the plant to develop another stem and early frosts kill the new stem if it is not ready for winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here