Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Dried hydrangeas....your experience

joannemb
14 years ago

To those of you who have dried hydrangeas...

How long would you expect a dried hydrangea wreath to last (in a sheltered location---front porch)

Are they very fragile....so that when the door is closed, or the wreath is knocked a bit, buds would fall off? Considering either making or purchasing one, but don't quite know what to expect (or if it would be worth the time/be appropriate for where I need it.)

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• Oakley
    14 years ago

I've never hung a wreath with dried flowers outside. I have one and I think the humidity could really take a toll on it, let alone the sun if it's in the sun, because the flowers will fade.

As far as a Hy. flower, I picked one and laid it on my desk, and it stayed in perfect shape for a couple of months until my kitten found it. lol Not one petal fell off during that time, and it dried perfectly just laying there.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi joannemb - I dry hydrangea blossoms as well for my X'mas tree - looks great with silk or organdy type bows! My grand girls describe them, as flower fairies!!! Â;)

I usually harvest when they are mature ... dry better & hold shapes that way. I harvest from my Nikko, ES, Blushing Bride(beautiful wine/burgundy colours) & from others that I have to Winter protect ... make use of their blossoms, before wrapping. Like okleyok, I fear that sun & winds will fade/demolish fragile, dried blossoms ... perhaps indoors will be OK or fill a basket & enjoy for a while!

You might ask Michael's/craft shop, if they carry some kind of spray, to preserve or keep dried blossoms from falling off. Years ago, an elderly lady friend, uses Annabelle blossoms for wreaths ... adds other decorative bows & things ... quite beautiful!!!

Go for it & try ... you can always harvest for new ones, more next season!!! Â;) Have fun

• ego45
    14 years ago

Indoor they may last for years, but outdoor...I don't know :-))