Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unprofessional

First year Pinky Winky pics

unprofessional
14 years ago

I think I like these more every day. Color is just so nice, they didn't show any signs of shock after planting them like Limelight tends to, and they are surprisingly fragrant. Glad I put them in front of my house.

Comments (11)

• ditas
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!! Â;) Thanks for sharing! My sis-in-law got one this Spring ... has not produced the pinks as she expected ... she is in zone 3 Canada, could that be the reason?

Was it a large shrub at planting & how large are those panicles?

TIA!

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bought in a 3-gallon container.

Longest panicle is 12" right now, and still growing.

4 plants, 50 panicles. Didn't have any when I bought them.

Hard to say why hers aren't pink - just seems to be a function of time, rather than anything else. Mine is growing on the north side of my house, and only gets early morning and late evening sun. Neatest thing is some of the flowers get some green in them with the pink. You can sort of see it in the first picture, on the bottommost flowers.

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Year two.

Today's the first day I've noticed any pink on my Pinky Winkies, so I decided it was time for a little update. I love these hydrangeas. They just keep getting better. I've noticed that this year they have a lot more of the showy sterile flowers on the panicles. Panicle size is still gigantic, even without pruning, and the red stems adorned with huge leaves are gorgeous.

• ostrich
    13 years ago

Unprofessional, these are surely beautiful shrubs!!! Very, very nice indeed!

The only thing I would like to mention is that, you may not have enough space for them there by the fence. Mine has grown to this gigantic size just after a couple of years... just a thought for you.

• Tim Wood
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

• alisande
    13 years ago

Ooooh....Pinky Winky is on my list!!

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ostrich, they're actually a little further from the porch than they look, and I think my house is hideous, so the more they cover, the better. :) When they start popping through the slats, I may trim the back to help the front take those nutrients, though I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy seeing them come right into the porch.

Here comes the pink! Early morning photo:

And so people have an idea of how wonderfully large the leaves and panicles are...(also, keep in mind that the panicles keep growing, and they would be even larger if I hard pruned):

• kathielo
    13 years ago

unprofessional, do those panicles stay upright? Are the stems sturdy enough to keep them straight? How tall will the shrub actually get? I'm think of replacing an annabelle with Pinky Winky. It will be in a back corner of my garden which gets AM sun and afternoon shade. Would this be a good spot? How much pruning do you do? I have two Pee Gees that are like trees and I only prune to keep them shaped up. Is PW a tree type or a shrub like a mophead? thanks

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The stems are very sturdy. PW is a paniculata, like your Pee Gees, so it would be more like them than your macrophyllas. Expect 8' without pruning, but you can prune into a tree form if you like, or just a very hard prune every year to keep panicles their largest and height down.

Attaching a link somebody else posted with excellent information on a lot of different paniculatas, especially PW, and with pruning information.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5-year RHS paniculata trial results

• kathielo
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link..interesting article. Kathie

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Few update pics.

Something that doesn't really get said about this hydrangea enough is that it gets a lot of green in its panicles as it changes color. I think it's lovely.

Pink is coming on strong. The leaves make the panicles look small in photos, but keep in mind the leaves are all 7-8" long.