Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mario_q

Hydrangea Paniculata propagation

Mario.Q
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm a propagation rookie and looking for some help with propagating Hydrangea Paniculata.

I made some cuttings in late spring and they rooted nicely. Once they started leafing out I transplanted them to a container and planted them using potting soil. I moved some of the cuttings outside in a shaded area to see how they would do. I kept them bottom watered. So they were more or less constantly moist. But, they all ended up wilting and dying off. What I found interesting is I also had some Hydrangea Macrophylla cuttings and they all did well outside....save for some foliage that was chewed off by a local rabbit.

I kept one of my H.P. cuttings inside and it is doing well and pushing new leafs (I also have some new cuttings I just made after removing some spent flowers from the mother plant). However, at this point I'm not sure what to do with this little plant. I'm scared to move it outside and have it die on me. I've been trying to harden the leafs off by putting it outside for a couple hours at a time. But, the plant looks to fraigle to place it outside to grow.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is I'm looking for some tips on getting a Hydrangea cutting from the stage where it's a leafed out cutting to a healthy plant that can survive out its own outside.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• jemboysch
    11 years ago

Where do you live Mario? It's summer here. If it is where you are too I'd say put your cuttings in a shady spot and they should be ok. My guess as to the demise of your other cuttings was the bottom watering. Cuttings like to be kept moist but not wet. When I repot my cuttings from their first home to one with potting soil I add a little high phosphorus fertilizer and water at least every other day. Depending on when started, I either plant them in the ground in the fall or partially bury the pot and mulch with shredded leaves through the winter and plant once the warm weather arrives. In the spring I fertilize once a month starting in April through July and mine have done wonderful! I wish you luck!!!!

• Mario.Q
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in Lansing Michigan, zone 5a...though these last few years I think its been acting much higher than that!

Thanks for the tips! I'll give it a try and will cut back on the watering as you suggested. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll try the phosphorus with my next batch of cuttings.

I'm also wondering about the cuttings I just made. I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not, but when I dead-headed my hydrangeas I cut enough stem to make a cutting. So now I have 7 or 8 cuttings that I'm just starting to root. I figure by the time they are leafing out good it may be September or October. Would it still be a good idea to place them outside to die back for the winter or should I keep them inside in a dark cool spot over the winter? I guess I'll find out, but will cuttings this late in the season even take?

Thanks!

• jemboysch
    11 years ago

Mario, I haven't had much luck this late in the season but I've read other people who have so as long as it's not hurting anything, I'd give it a try. I'm not sure if I'd leave new growth out in your winters either. Maybe someone more experienced in your area will weigh in.

• Mario.Q
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again for the reply. I agree I doubt these cuttings will take root. Taking a closer look the growth nodes don't look great. Some of the areas where the leaf is attached to the stem look like they don't have any new growth nodes. And the ones that do the nodes look like they are scorched from the summer heat.

It's all an experiment for me at this point. I told my wife I feel like I have an 8th grade science experiment going! I'll learn my lessons and try again next year. Hopefully I can use some of the tips here from the experts to get there faster.