Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea not flowering after pruning to the ground

Posted by eric_o 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 5, 09 at 10:48

Hello everyone,

I've got a mophead type hydrangea that was replanted in another location last year after some landscaping work. It was wilting terribly in the summer heat so this spring I cut it back almost to the ground. Since then it has grown back beautifully, but not a single bloom. One of my neighbors informed me it will likely never bloom again. Is this true or will it just not bloom until next year? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea not flowering after pruning to the ground

I'm no hydrangea expert, but you almost certainly have one of the types that blooms on old wood, so when you pruned it you cut off this year's blossoms. Leave it alone this winter and you'll probably have flowers next year! The wilting was normal given the circumstances; hydrangeas tend to wilt easily in summer heat, especially when they're young or recently transplanted. It should be less prone to wilting once it's better established.

o

I'm no hydrangea expert, but you almost certainly have one of the types that blooms on old wood, so when you pruned it you cut off this year's blossoms. Leave it alone this winter and you'll probably have flowers next year! The wilting was normal given the circumstances; hydrangeas tend to wilt easily in summer heat, especially when they're young or recently transplanted. It should be less prone to wilting once it's better established.

o

lala is correct...your plant blooms on old wood, so the flower buds for this season were actually set last summer...so you cut the plant to the ground, you cut all the flower buds off from last yr...now that the plant is growing back, very often, the re-growth plants are quite vigorous...if you want blooms next yr, and prove your neighbor is wrong, do not prune for the yr, and no spring pruning next yr, no way, no how...then offer good winter protection for the bare sticks (this forum has a lot of topic threads on the subject)...feed the plant nicely next spring..and wait for the big blooms to welcome you..good luck.

o

Thank you both for the information! It looks great now, despite the lack of blooms, so I won't prune at all and will protect it over the winter and see what I get. Glad to know I didn't permanently damage it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here