Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Bombshell a bust?

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 10:58

I planted several 3 gallon Bombshell this past spring and they are struggling like crazy. Even all the plants in shade at the nursery look terrible.

They are severely thin and they didn't bloom what so ever.
This is the first time this has ever happened for a H. paniculata for me.

Granted its year one so we'll see what happens but for a first year plant its the worst of any paniculata I've tried.

My Limelight, Quickfire, Little Lime, Sweet Summer and Mystical Flame that I planted this year look substantially healthier and they all bloomed. Many other varieties I tried at my last home did well the first year too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Bombshell a bust?

I saw a bunch of 2-gal's in bloom and there's nothing impressive about them to me. In fact, I just passed on one that was $8 at HD. The flower heads are loose and not very robust. I could imagine some container or rooftop/balcony garden applications, but I can see this getting lost in most other gardens. There are white-flowered weeds that can get the same job done. Some white phlox paniculatas would actually be great.

I'd have to go with the other recent introduction 'Bobo' instead of this, but Bobo is strictly a Proven Winners issue and is not 'public domain' like Bombshell so it might not be as easy to get a hold of right away...

o

That Bobo is beautiful. I'm dying to get a hold of a few!!! Love it!!!

o

I second the motion but I would have preferred another name for the plant.

o

I quite like my 'Bombshell' :-) Only had it a couple of weeks but it is in full bloom now still in its 1G nursery pot. I picked this one because I garden almost entirely in containers now and wanted one that would stay pretty compact.

I don't find it to be any different in flower form or robustness than any of the other paniculatas I have grown, other than it is significantly scaled down.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 5, 12 at 22:05

I anxiously await next spring then!

I have a pre-planned area that is waiting for Bobo. I couldn't get the darn things this year. They will be readily available this upcoming spring.

o

And the Plants Nouveau Macs will be at HD's everywhere next spring.. Just throwing that in there. If only we could fast-forward 12 months ahead to next year's clearance prices.. lol

o

whaas wrote: I have a pre-planned area that is waiting for Bobo. I couldn't get the darn things this year. They will be readily available this upcoming spring.

This so sounds like me this past spring!

I dug up some of our front lawn in March to make a new perennial garden. I was able to secure two small Bobos as anchor plants. So far they have been slow growing but at least they have been in the ground a couple of months. I planted two Bombshell as well in the past few weeks. Hopefully I will see their best next season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here