Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tulipsmiles

Transplanted Hydrangea Questions - from a newbie

tulipsmiles
14 years ago

I transplanted 3 Endless Summer Hydrangeas in early April. (We are zone 6 South of Boston)

One hydrangea just didn't make it and after several months of no evidence of life, I dug it up, threw it out and replaced it with a new, young ES Hydrangea I bought at Lowes. My question regarding this new hydrangea is about it's blooms. They are now Chartuse in color and drying out. There is new life and growth, on other stems, and small blooms that are blue. Should I cut off the older, drying pinkish/peach big blooms, to give energy to the new, young blue blooms?

Second Hydrangea that was transplanted looks to be the healthiest. It grew to be full, green and much foliage. However there is only one bloom. I have decided to let it be, and be thankful it is green and happy. Do you think there will be full recovery by next year, with more blooms?

Third Hydrangea is not as happy. It does have new growth and has put off about 10 blooms, but the center of it has dead stems that are brown and have been cut down. So the plant in general only has about 10 long green stems that stick out from the side, and those are the ones with blooms. The center is wide open and dead. I will leave him alone and hope that next year there will be more recovery, but he looks to be struggling some. Is there anything I can do?

I realize that transplanting is a big shock to them and a major trama. I'm glad that they did as well as they did.

I actually transplanted them to a shadier spot because they were getting cooked in the Southern exposure spot they were in. They were about 3 years old when transplanted.

Any info on future care to help them acclimate is helpful. I'm assuming many of you will tell me to just be patient, like my mom has!

Thanks,

Tulipsmiles

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax