Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peegee Hydranga in trouble or okay?

Posted by Co-Co 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 11:13

I've had a peegee hydrangea shrub planted for ~6 years. This summer I noticed quite a few yellow leaves on the stems. It was during a dry part of the summer, so gave it some water. It is now flowering, but I'm noticing even more yellow flowers with quite a few dropped already. Am I just in denial that fall has started early, or do I need to baby the plant a bit? Thanks!
 photo 100_3440800x600_zps95530c66.jpg

photo 100_3439800x600_zps9d486e95.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peegee Hydranga in trouble or okay?

Probably due to not keeping it evenly watered but looks fine even with yellow leaves.

o

Heat stress in the summer could make some leaves turn yellow. Lack of water would show up as leaf edges turning brown and growing brown inwards. Some of the leaves that are green appear to have leaf spot as a few of the yellow ones. Hard to say which came first as leaves that are yellowing and browning sometimes show these leaf spots more obviously than dark green ones do.

The leaves do not look like a nice dark green color. But that may have been the camera's fault. They were also too far away to tell if you have iron chlorosis so, check the soil pH to see if it is becoming alkaline or if the soil has a nitrogen problem. There are kits sold at plant nurseries that will check these things for you.

Try to maintain the soil as evenly moist as you can with few or no periods of dry/moist/dry/etc. Try not going overboard with moisture (that is, wet soil) as too much moisture feeds the spores. Dispose of the fallen plant debris in the trash. Water the soil (in the early morning hours) and never the leaves.

o

That shrub is at an age where you do NOT have to manually water it, unless in a severe drought.

I have many paniculatas and the one I watered the least has no yellow leaves.

o

Thanks very much everyone. Luis, I agree they are not a "nice dark green," rather a medium-light green. I fertilized everything in the spring with MG, then left them (lazy gardener!). I will attempt to check the soil pH. Google informed me as well that I may have overwatered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here