Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming of Non-Blooming Hydrangeas

Posted by nancyissue PA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 11:34

I am a hydrangea novice but believe I have "Annabelle" hydrangeas. Bloomed beautifully last year but wasn�t trimmed down until late November. This year many leaves but no flowers.

My question is when/how to trim it this year so possibly it will flower next year? Or just leave it as is?

Many thanks for any help received!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming of Non-Blooming Hydrangeas

I was under the impression you could trim this as late as spring and still get blooms? Are you sure this is Annabelle?

Annabelle pruning

o
RE: Trimming of Non-Blooming Hydrangeas

Annabelle is in the family hydrangea arborescens. They can be trimmed anytime from fall through early spring and still bloom, and on top of that they won't suffer severe dieback in PA.

You're probably dealing with hydrangea macrophylla. They are not a plant for novices in the north. Trimming, except for cutting off dead branches around June 1, is NOT necessary. You can pinch off growing tips of green branches to make more branches, but they are NOT plants where pruning encourages blooming, because blooms occur primarily on previous year's growth.

Before any long-winded explanations start, consult the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas In The North

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here