Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carissa930_gw

Worried about my limelights Ijust planted...help

carissa930
9 years ago

I just planted some limelights that I want to grow as a hedge along my fence. I planted a total of 6. 3 are regular limelights and 3 are little limes I alternated them. I made my flower bed. Put down top soil 6 bags, 1 bag peat , 2 bags compost manure. Tilled it all in and then planted them. Spacing about 4 feet apart. There are a couple that are turning brown, dropping leaves that have yellowed. I've been watering everyday. My soil is pretty much clay, with very little topsoil. So that's why I put amendments down. I'm new to gardening in general and have no clue what I'm doing. Any advice??? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• carissa930
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic

• carissa930
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more

• emrogers
    9 years ago

I'm sorry I don't have an answer but it's already gorgeous! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's all grown up! It's might be that they're in shock and will bounce back.

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Either its stressed from severe root disturbance, otherwise you're drowning it.

A plant never needs to be watered everyday. The first few weeks maybe every few days at most. Your amendments may have increased water holding capacity as well. You only water when the soil starts to feel less than damp.

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

If you want them to form a hedge, you might be happier with all of one kind or the other. Limelight will eventually get taller, and it might be challenging to keep them the same height even with heavy Limelight pruning.

Since Limelight does get taller, it seems like it would do a better job of blocking the view of the houses behind you if that's something you'd like to do.

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

The soil does not appear to have mulch so water will quickly evaporate in the summer months. Add 3-4" of mulch up to the rip line or so. You can add 1 gallon of water per watering to the soil (not the leaves) early in the mornings.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Too much water. Water hydrangea paniculata as recommended above or only if the leaves remain pointing down 45 degrees for more than a day.

• carissa930
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for everyone's responses. I haven't added mulch yet....I literally just put them in the ground friday so I need to do that. I get freaked out not watering them because everyone who has seen them say water, water, water! And yes I am trying to get them to be a hedge but not so much to block anything visually......I just need a barrier between the pitbull that moved in next door and my 2 year old daughter sticking her hands through the fence so I am planting them to keep her away from the fence.

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

One other note - Limelight is supposed to spread 6 - 8 feet, and those appear to be close enough to the fence that they'll eventually be growing through it. Is that OK with you and your neighbor?

• carissa930
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ruth_mi. Yes. I realize that they will grow that large. Even though they connected to our fence ..... When we had our fence installed....it was set 1-2 feet inside our property line. So, when they put in a fence they asked us if they could connect and we allowed that. But anyways, technically a foot and half on the other side is our property still. I guess if it were an issue eventually I could prune that side of them back some :0/

• Ruth_MI
    9 years ago

That's great...good luck with your new hedge. It would be fun to see updates over the next few years as it grows in!

• madeyna
    9 years ago

When we were all putting in limelights a few years ago alot of us noticed they were prone to transplant shock. Its seems like most of them rebounded though so hang in there they will probly be fine.