Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First winter with rooted cuttings

Posted by whiteforest 6 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 12:31

I have several cuttings rooting in my kitchen window in water. I'm going to pot them up this weekend. But with fall approaching, I'm wondering if I should try to grow them in windows through this winter, or if I just allow them to freeze in the garage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First winter with rooted cuttings

In Z6, I would be tempted to plant them in Spring in the ground so they are somewhat prepared for your cold winters (so keep them in a protected garage once dormant and water them every week or every 2 weeks).

o

I don't have any intentions of planting these in the ground. I plan to keep them in containers. I just wasn't sure that newly rooted cuttings would survive dormancy in the garage at all, or if they were better off staying in my kitchen windows through the winter once they're potted.

I have 6 in the ground, but I am concerned about their longevity due to all the silver maples in my yard.

o

I kept my cuttings in the house in the unheated attic window over the winter. Just a little warning though about half of them will go dorment anyway and lose their leaves. Every single one came back up for me in the spring though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here