Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajc9

3 limelights...1 not blooming

ajc9
10 years ago

I planted these last year. Can you tell me how to prune? I'm wondering if I pruned the one on the right incorrectly and that's why it didn't bloom. They all receive the same amount of sun, fertilizer ect.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

More than "how" is "when" with Limelights. What zone are you in, and when did you prune the right one? Did you prune the others, and if so, when?

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Ruth...sorry....I always rush through posts! My two yr old is always at my feet!

Zone 5b. Pruned in march, I think?

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

That's plenty early. I've pruned mine as late as the end of May and had them budding/blooming by now.

Were they moved this year? Could anything have eaten buds of the one on the right? Have you had them all the same amount of time? (Although I've never seen Limelight NOT bloom, except in extreme shade or drought.)

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, they WERE moved this year;(. Our home is two years old and this spring we did some revamping on a few landscape areas.

Im pretty sure they werent eaten by anything...there were no signs of buds...just foliage. They were all purchased at the same time - they were all different sizes but healthy when purchased.

Do you think it was just stressed and hopefully next year it will come back?

So, when I prune next spring, perhaps I should wait a bit longer. How far down do you go?

This post was edited by ajc9 on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 14:22

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

I wouldn't wait longer to prune (you can, but it won't help). I guess I'd be inclined to just leave them and see what happens next year.

I don't prune mine a certain amount, just whatever is needed to keep it full and contain the size a little. Sometimes I pinch back the new growth on some stems a second time (before the end of May) to encourage more branching.

• jemboysch
    10 years ago

Are you sure it isn't getting shaded for part of the day by the house or a tree? That would be my guess but this photo looks like it gets plenty of sun.
    Good Luck with figuring it all out!!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

They look good but will cover that window-mine is 15 feet and spreading out!

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing.... unless you were going to regularly prune them to keep their size in check.

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all!

I wondered about their size becoming an issue. Ah...I originally purchased them for the front of the house but decided it wasn't the right spot. I needed more winter interest for the front so moved them here at the back of the house (basement LR). I do want them bigger but not enough to cover the windows!;).

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Lol, with that spacing your going to have something like this picture in front of your window. Plus side is that it will be a very nice looking hedge.

• ajc9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha...quick poking fun at my novice planting southern guy;)! I just may need to move these babies again...I loooove limelights but it's been tricky figuring out where to place them.

That pic is pretty but I'm not sure I want them engulfing my basement windows. I could keep them heavily pruned but don't want to squash their potential beauty either...??

Thanks again, all!

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Lol. We have all done it which is why it is so funny. You will find a good spot for them. I agree that they should be left to get big. There are, although not limelights, more compact varieties if you like that location.

Good luck and send us pics.

SCG

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I agree. They should be left to get big--so move them to an open spot along your property line--and widely spaced enough that they won't end up growing on top of each other.

In the meantime, check some smaller hydrangea such as Little Lime (I think that is its name). I haven't grown it, but I remember several posters talking about how much they liked it and its more manageable height.

Kate

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths