Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advise on Temporary Planting

Posted by alexis717 5b WA (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 08 at 12:48

I've gotten 3 two year old paniculatas that I need to plant. The problem is the area where I want them to go is not ready and won't be till next Spring. So here's my question: Should I plant them straight in the ground and then just dig up and replant next year, or can I repot them in larger pots and bury in the ground. Would that disturb the roots less in the long run? If your advise is to bury the pots in the ground should I use potting mix or the soil they will eventually be growing in? I know the smart thing would have been to buy them next year.... but I just couldn't help it. TIA for any suggestions and advise

Alexis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advise on Temporary Planting

I would keep them on mulched pots until it is time to plant in Spring.... just as would have happenned if your nursery had not found a seller. You can then dig a hole and put them there or store them in a garage or shed during the winter. Just do not forget to water them during the winter.

o

Luis - Thank you for responding. I'm going to transplant into larger pots and then put in the ground, should I use potting soil or the soil they will actually be growing in next spring.

Thank you
Alexis

o

You probably do not need to change the potting soil medium at this time. The reason is that most nurseries and the wholesellers from which the plants are actually obtained from, they all add these fertilizer pellets that make sure that the plant is well taken care of, at least for the first growing season. For that reason, if I had purchased a plant in Spring 2008, I would not have fertilized at all until Spring 2009. Thus I would leave the plant in the pot and in the same potting soil medium.

o

Luis - Thank you. You are always so helpful and I always enjoy reading your helpful advise on other threads.

Alexis

o

I'd put it in the ground. You won't need to care for it nearly so much that way and the plant will be happier for it. Plants actually like being in the ground.

Hay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here