Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning ancient plant of large snowball variety

Posted by woost2 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 12:49

A very large plant that has been on our lakefront for decades had a bad season last year -- drought followed by biblical rains followed by over 100 inches of snow, with ice on the lake into April. I don't know what it is. Its flowers are large, white, drying to pale green. It is tall and wide.

It had lots of dead branches this year which did not get pruned. It is not its former robust self this year. I can guess that this plant has never been watered and never been fertilized. It's in a public/common area, so no one really takes ownership of it.

So, if I choose to take it on in the spring, what should be my course of action, beyond cutting out all the dead wood?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning ancient plant of large snowball variety

Do a soil test and fertilize after the results are in. Pay attention to the soil pH and to the level of secondary and micro nutrients (or lack there of). Mulch heavily (4" of any type of acidic mulch).

Phosphorus and pottasium move very slowly in the soil. If you apply some now, assume that it will reach the roots in about 6 months. I would apply some bone meal six months before normal leaf out occurs.

Hydrangeas require very little fertilization so one application in June (if you live in the north) or two applications in May and July (if you live in the South) should do it. Coffee grounds during the growth season are ok but stop all fertilizers in August-September. Try using cottonseed meal or manure. For a new small shrub, 1/2 to 1 cup is fine; you will need more for a bigger older bush.

Pruning is another story since aesthethics also come into play. You may want to hard prune the bush but I was wondering if you could post a picture so we all could see what you are seeing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here