Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea color? (pic)

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 10 at 13:00

Is there anyway to make this mophead hydrangea a real deep blue or a deep purple. I would love it to be purple.
Thank you.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea color? (pic)

Hard to turn them purple but, here's a link.
Ian

Here is a link that might be useful: Read this..

o

Deepening/intensifying the color or even changing it significantly has as much to do with the specific cultivar as it has with soil chemistry. Some cultivars just never produce very deep or intense coloring and some are rather stable in color and not easily influenced by soil pH.

Do you know what cultivar of bigleaf hydrangea you have? 'Nikko Blue', a very popular and widely planted selection and which yours could very well be, tends to produce only midblue flowers at best under proper soil conditions. Under alternate soil conditions, the most you could hope for is a mauvey-light purple or soft pink flowers. 'Endless Summer Original' will produce similar coloring as do a number of other, less common selections. Exposure will also influence color to a certain degree -- a lot of sun will tend to wash out or bleach flower color; more shade will produce deeper colors. But to get a dark blue flower or a deep purple flower, you need to start with a cultivar that has more darker, more intense coloring to begin with.

o

The one you have is so pretty the way it is, why don't you just buy another....something with really intense color, Venice, Paris or some other one and then if you want to manipulate the color through soil ph you will end up with what you desire. If you're in zone 8 you can grow anything!! I too, love the dark purple ones!! Good Luck!!

Donna

o

Gardengal: I think it is Nikko Blue. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Last fall, I added a bit of aluminum sulfate but never noticed any change in the color. I was hoping for at least a deeper blue.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here