Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Types of Soil for Growing Little Lime?

Posted by lindama MA z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 13:35

I am going to purchase a Little Lime Hydrangea, I've seen them at one of the local garden centers and they are stunning! Before I do, I would like to know whether or not they will do okay in Clay like soil? Would it be wise to mix in some manure or compost along with the area soil?

I plan on planting it in the front yard where it will get afternoon sun, will that be okay? I've read that they do well in sun but would just like to clarify with anyone else who may have Little Lime planted in the sun.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Types of Soil for Growing Little Lime?

As long as its at a decent price for you, go for it. Your planting conditions will be fine, just pack the backfilled soil down firmly, watering once halfway through and once after the hole is filled.

This was the plant of the year for me, not just because I got a mispriced 3-gal for $15, but because it shot right up to 3 feet and produced about 30 gorgeous blooms. They remain creamy lime the whole time, as opposed to limelight blooms that turn white. Also the foliage on little is darker than regular limelight. The blooms on mine are now turning pink at the bases. It has not wilted or drooped a bit since being planted in spring, and there is nothing else out there in the garden thats anything like it!

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 21:30

Although mine are young yet and have been exposed to adverse conditions they are flopping donkey style. These aren't even wet, they are dry!

Before I take a final stance on this plant I'll give them another year to see if the wood strengthens a bit to support the blooms.

Mine are in a sandy loam and planted as 1 gallon plants early last spring.

Photobucket

o

Here's mine about a month ago (the blooms are bigger and blushing now):

Photobucket

o

Well I bit the bullet and purchased one and so far, I just love it! I planted it out in front of my house along side my ES and Penny Mac. The later two always look droopy due to the staggering heat we've been having lately, but Little Lime is standing straight up with 3-4 huge blooms and lots of buds ready to open in the very near future. The color is just spectacular. So far I am very pleased, it is one of the better hydrangeas IMHO. Only wish my Vanilla Strawberry stood up as well as Little Lime. I will post of photo of mine tomorrow.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here