Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutter bees

Posted by anenemity 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 13:59

I was almost certain that the perfectly round holes that showed up on my Limelight hydrangea was the work of cutter bees and was willing to accept that damage. But then I noticed that the damage was also on the flowers themselves. I couldn't find any information about cutter bees also taking material from the petals. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutter bees

Some flowering paniculatas are notorious for attracting bees to the point that some people plant the shrubs away from high traffic areas. I wonder then, could the cutter bees be stealing the leaf material and the other bees be the ones actually damaging the sepals?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 23:56

Leaf cutter bees will sometimes take their material from petals. I would think petals larger than hydrangea but I really don't know. If you google 'leaf cutter bee flower petals', images, you'll find some examples of roses, other.

Are you seeing the same perfectly cookie cutter round as on the leaves?

o

Here's a picture. The holes appear on the bigger blooms as well, but the leaves provide better contrast in this shot. I know the leaf damage in this particular picture is not cutter bees.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 2:04

That really does look like leaf cutter bee activity to me. They must really, really like your hydrangea. And you do realize, they may never choose it another year but this year you appear to be twice chosen :)

o

Thanks morz. The only information I could find about cutter bees damaging the petals said that they do this when the flowers are still closed in order to get to the nectar inside. So it's possible this happened at the nursery before I purchased the plant. There are still plenty of flowers on my 3 limelights so I'm not too worried about their appearance. I'd just never seen that before!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here