Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinky Winky hydrangea and groundhogs

Posted by margaret700.123 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 14:31

I just put in a Pinky Winky hydrangea and am worried that the groundhogs will eat it! They ate all my beans and also my goldenrod. Also, instead of the bottoms of the flowers being pink they are turning brown. Could it be getting too much shade. It's on the west side of my house but our houses are close together.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinky Winky hydrangea and groundhogs

kathieo was battling groundhogs earlier this year. She wanted to protect the top and bottom (underground) of her hydrangeas with chicken wire because other shrubs were affected. They like to eat vegetables, trees, grasses and legumes; I am not sure if they are a problem for hydrangeas (or if her solution would help) since they are not a problem where I live in Texas and the subject (groundhogs) does not come up often in the forum. The browning of the blooms is probably a combination of lack of moisture, a small root system and transplant shock blues.

o

Once the plant matures and the root system is larger the issue of brown flowers will be a thing of the past. As for the groundhogs I'm not sure - a cat?

o

Thanks so much for the info. The plant sat in it's pot in the shade for 6 weeks. And you know I didn't water it enough! I hope I haven't done it irrepairable harm. My neighbor feeds the cats so we have many!! Hope they don't like hydrangeas...

Here is a link that might be useful: pinky winky hydrangea and groundhogs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here