Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limelight Flies

Posted by bedelia 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 15:28

I live in upstate NY, and this is my second summer for my gorgeous Limelight. However, this summer there's a lot of flies (looks like houseflies) all over the flowers. Is this normal, or is it a bad thing?

I don't see any other insects on it except for bees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limelight Flies

Oh.... if you think Limelight is bad, try Quick Fire!!! QF seems to attract 10 times more flies than Limelight! I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, but it just happens... you have not noticed any damage to the plant, have you? Just checking that you're not referring to anything else that may be bad...

o

• Posted by ditas z4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 22:42

I think all H paniculatas with fertile florets attract pollinators including flies ... they are particularly, magnets to all the flying critters small & big. They don't usually bother anyone, as they are too busy collecting their food supplies for Winter (saving for the rainy days - so to speak!!!) &&&&& too drunk, to be interested in humans!!! They usually come, once the tiny florets flash open.

I've noticed that different flowers, attract certain kinds of flying bugs more than others ... even those tiny guys have their favorites. The black hornets (I fondly call, top guns) seem to prefer all the H paniculatas with fertile florets, I have around ... QF as the earliest to flash is in charge of the 'bugle call' LOL!!!

o

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping they weren't doing harm. It's just that I never noticed them last year.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 3, 09 at 19:23

They're not doing harm. Flies, among them many beneficial kinds, visit flowers to obtain pollen which provides protein the flies need before they can lay eggs.

o

I pulled up this thread because I have the same problem and I was looking for a solution. I have a small yard too and I put a few limelight hedges in for privacy. When my hedges were young i had no flies but now that they're a few years old flies galore (mostly house flies). Because my yard is small I feel like I'm up close and personal with the flies when I sit outside. Is there really nothing I can do about it?

o

You could try attracting birds to the area. Maybe put a bird house or bird feeder.

o

Why not it can't hurt! I'll give it a try. Would citronella candles work?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here