Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 5 Oakleaf sun needs

Posted by watervillegirl OH 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 08 at 15:38

I have searched the forum and find a lot of mixed answers. I just bought a Snowflake hydrangea and want to know where you Zone 5 people have it planted full or partial sun. I have clay soil if that makes a difference.

I would like in full sun and want to know if it would do well there.
Thanks for all your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 5 Oakleaf sun needs

One big problem for you, and me, is that our winters are harsh enough to kill back the top growth in many years, taking the flowering buds at the tips. This past year has been a most unusual one and we've had great flowering around here. But that's the exception.

My friend has a Snowflake and it's planted in dappled shade, and never really gets much direct sun and it is covered with blooms this year. There are other varieties of Oakleaf growing in full sun and they're doing great, too.

The bottom line seems to be that it's not too critical here in the North where you plant them.

Hay

o

Thanks hayseedman. I am guessing that this should be winter protected? All of my others are new growth bloomers (ES, F&E,QF, LL) as I did not have much luck with any that bloom on old wood.

o

I don't know how you'd winter protect a large one. Maybe you could protect one that's young for a while. The larger ones are pretty stiff and it'd be difficult, I'd imagine, trying to cover it or something.

I actually haven't had such good results with Endless Summer without somehow protecting it. It's a little better than Nikko, say, but still not a very reliable bloomer.

Blue Billow blooms consistently for me. Preziosa works sometimes.

The Paniculatas all do just fine.

Hay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here