Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dappled shade...

Posted by woollady z8 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 16:02

hello,i have 2 large potted macrophyllas,theyre 4 years old,they dont bloom much.theyre at the eastern edge of the breezeway,get some am sun till about 11 ,but the back parts dont get any sun unless i turn the pots.i have a west facing pation with an arbor with lattice work on top.would this work,the sun starts about 1 pm,but is dappled.i live in the foothills above sacramento ca.the temps lately have been around 100 degrees.thank you in advance for any advice.also i think they need more sun because the leaf stems are leaning towards the east where the sun is .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dappled shade...

In my Z8, hydrangeas suffer from sun scorch if exposed to the sun after 11am or 12pm. The symptoms are complete yellowing of the leaves. Only leaves in direct contact with the sun are affected though. The leaves remain yellow (including the leaf veins) for a while and then they dry out and drop.

Since your afternoon sun is dappled sun, I would try it out with one. They are in pots so you can always move them back if you see symptoms of sun scorch in the leaves.

Because of the sun intensity in the summer, you may have to limit the amt of sun still somehow. That is, they might be able to handle the sun from 1pm until 3pm in the new location. But then they may need protection from the hottest part of the day (3-5pm more or less).

All plants tend to lean towards the sun if they can help it, some more than others of course. From the plant's perspective, it is better to be where the sun hits the shrub. The problem is that too much sun could then hit the leaves during the summer and that would be bad. I notice it most on soft tissue indoor plants or on plants where the sun hits only part of the plant. You could transplant the shrub such that the sun hits the complete shrub but just make sure that the shrub gets shade around 11am. If you transplant, consider the eventual size of the shrub, not the just the current size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here