Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to feed hydrangeas

Posted by puppyscruff 7/NC (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 5, 05 at 16:08

Other than the aluminum or lime for color, what is the best nutritive diet for these beauties. Some of mine are a little yellow in the leaf.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to feed hydrangeas

hi puppy,good old fashion Miracle grow is just fine.
15-30-15. Make sure middle number is higher than front number.good luck

o

Thanks, fellow MA native, it's simpler than I thought. I would also like to try Annabelle.

claire, transplanted to NC

o

Bringing up the rear... I've read that you should NOT feed hydrangeas with a high-middle-number fertilizer. Something about the high phosphorus locking up the available aluminum or iron or whatever. (Obviously, chemistry was not my long suit.) So what's the scoop? judy

o

Too much nitrogen (first number) and you'll get great leaves with poor blooming, too much phosphorous(second number) might thwart your efforts to get blue blooms. If your not trying for blue, 15-30-15 is fine. Evenly balanced is supposed to be best for hydrangeas (8-8-8 so on) but not always easy to find at your local box stores......yg

o

Hydrangeas get what ALL of my rhodies/azaleas as well as the flowering dogwoods or the perrenials get......

a 5-10-5 granular along with Hollytone in late winter/early spring (up here in the Mid Atlantic): Feb/Mar. That is the only time that I feed

There's not really a lot of black magic to it. Everything in moderation and you'll be rewarded accordingly.

o

Has anyone fed their hydrangaes with Garrett Juice, or super thrive? I would really like to have more blooms this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here