Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeyna

What color will my white/blue blushing bride age

madeyna
9 years ago

I moved on of my white/pink bb to a new bed under some old growth evergreen trees and like most of the other hydrangeas in this bed it turned blue.Or to be more precise the pink centers turned blue. I have had several bbs for many years but have never had one with blue in it . I have always kept them potted so they stayed white with a hint of pink. I would love it if someone with with a blue tinged one would post a pic of the color I can expect this one to turn to. My my forever series white is blooming about 5 feet away and its shocking how much more white those flowers are.

Comments (13)

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    9 years ago

Blue green or brick red-just depends on temps and moisture....

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

F&E White is not pH-sensitive. ES BB is.

Aside from that, most H macrophylla blooms age to greens, greys and reds before eventually turning brown.

• madeyna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replys . I agree bb is ph sensitive,its not a true white like ff. At no point in the bloom cycle does bb not have some shade of pink or blue in it. I have decided it has to be moved it just not standing up to its own where I have it. I have 18 hydrangeas in that row and at that spot its ff white ,esblue, bbwhite , es blue .At this point in the bloom cycle the bb is washed out to the point of looking way to much like the two es flanking it. I am rethinking the whole end of that bed. BB on her own in pink was stunning. I would never have guessed she would get lost in a crowd. I either have to find a place for her on her own again or find another hydrangea to pair her with. First I think I have to find a way to get her back to pink and white.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

At no point in the bloom cycle does bb not have some shade of pink or blue in it

I think that depends very heavily on where it is planted. None of the BB's sold at my nursery have any indication of color except for the eye of the sterile flowers. And yes, the eyes of white flowered macrophyllas may be sensitive to pH but the rest of the flower is not. That is just a simple fact of life for any white flowered hydrangea - they are NOT sensitive to soil pH or aluminum availability to change colors. White will always be white except when the flowers age. And pretty much ANY white flowered plant will take on color as the flowers mature and age. But that is far different from pH sensitivity.

• madeyna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have two of them and they both have blue or green tone to the white as well as the center. They always have that tone. Not at all the pure deep white like the ff. Maybe you are just one of those people who does,t notice tones in colors unless they are really saturated. Its not that unusual next time you haved a newly bloomed bb try putting the flower right up against a sheet of typing paper and see what colors you notice. I would suggest doing it against a ff as well but it would depend on you having on in bloom at the same time. My thoughts have always been the bb isn,t a true white but a watered down version of es. that most of the color has been bred out of but not all. They are certainly aging the same at this point in thier cycle its hard for a nonplant person to tell bbs from es. This aging thing is what has me stumped it aged out diff when it was pink.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

My BB is pure white when it blooms and tinges the faintest blue when it peaks and starts to fade.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

^That is pH sensitivity. Only pure-white bloomers show no pinks or blues.

Flowers that age do not turn blue.

These traits are evident on others like Mouillere and Peace.

Here is a link that might be useful: ES BB OFFICIAL PAGE - READ!

This post was edited by Springwood_Gardens on Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 7:21

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Yet the advertisement in the provided link states:

"Just as the name suggests, Blushing Bride has pure white semi-double florets, which mature to blush pink or Carolina blue, depending on soil pH"

That is what I experienced - it is pure white to begin with, then ages with a tinge or blush of color.

• madeyna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When mine was pink it aged to a really deep dark pink. Thats why I wanted to know what it would age to now that its blue. My blue es ages to purple and grey

• madeyna
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went out this morning and the bloom have turned lime green.

• heathersstone
    8 years ago

your BB probably turned blue because you planted it under your evergreens, which have probably caused your soil to become more acidic.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    8 years ago

Some of my BB are pale blue by seasons end!

• Kayla
    8 years ago

They will start out white and then age to pink or blue depending on soil pH. I just bought my mother-in-law one for mothers day and it is absolutely gorgeous. I believe I will have to get me one to go with my original Endless Summer.