Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cut back struggling transplanted hydrangeas

Posted by westseattledeb z8 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 17:42

I took the advice of joanne and gardengal and cut three hydrangeas that were struggling from transplanting. I cut them from just over 5' to around 2' (where I could see healthy new shoots on many of the branches).

Should I also thin them out more? I don't know the variety, as they were rescued from a neighbor that had planted them in too small of an area and was going to throw them away. They were crowded in a 3' diameter half circle plot, along with a large camelia, so were very narrow from crowding.

Also, should I fertilize or just keep watered well; they were planted with lots of organic compost.

Here's one after cutting back:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And before cutting back, showing a few underwhelming blooms:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cut back struggling transplanted hydrangeas

You may get other advice---but if it were me, I'd leave them be now. Come Spring when you see new growth, then cut off the dead wood above the new growth shoots.

o
RE: Cut back struggling transplanted hydrangeas

Thanks. That was my gut instinct, as it is difficult to tell what is still living. Some branches that looked dead actually had new growth sprouting further up the plant that I didn't notice until I'd already cut it off.

Any idea what variety they might be? Or are they too sickly to ID?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here