Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Are these tree hydrangeas? (2 pics)

alisande
14 years ago

I was driving home in a downpour this afternoon when I saw these two trees in front of adjacent houses. Are they tree hydrangeas?

If so, how old do you think they must be? They have several "trunks."

I never expected anything so huge.....I envisioned tree hydrangeas sort of like tree roses or tree peonies. Whatever these are, they're gorgeous. My photo, shot in difficult conditions (from inside the car, in the rain), doesn't do them justice.

Comments (6)

• ditas
    14 years ago

WOW!!! ... Foliage seem quite fine ... but what do I know? Could it be Vivarnun? ... Still ... WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing ... I hope to live a long, long, long time & never move from my piece of soil ... I'm on my 5th season with my Kyushu tree ... how much longer do you think, to get to this WOW stage?!!! LOL

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

They are PEE GEE HYDRANGEAS

• ego45
    14 years ago

Yes, they are roughly 20+ y.old PG trees... and now try to imagine how ugly those unpuned/unshaped (read neglected) trees look in a winter.
    I personaly don't have to imagine anything because I see such things all over the neighborhood :-(
    ...and every time I see 'this' I stop myself from knocking on a door of the owner and offering a 'free haircut'.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi Alisande - Do you suppose you could photograph the same tree, when it's bare ... as George warns, our trees will look like, if left untouched, over the years? It'll help inspire us, to do periodic trims, to shape & beautify as they age.

Gosh George! ... I'm counting the years, I have to take good care of myself, to be able to see my Kyu Tree develop such a 'trunk' ... 15 more huh?!! ... I'll be 7 & 80-ish, by then & intend to stay put in this particular piece of soil! I'm now surrounded by neighbors my age, with very recent hip, knees, shoulder replacements ... I've been double counting my blessings! I have a Petiolaris, I need to see cover my 40' retaining wall, as well!!!

I still remember a photo of an old Kyu Tree you posted a couple of years ago - the dream tree, mine wanna be!!! Â;)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

It may be more a case of symantics, but these really are not "tree hydrangeas".....they are just shrub PeeGee's that have enough years behind them (and 20 years may be a conservative estimate) to have reached a very impressive, almost tree-like size. You see lots of them around my area. They have been limbed up so that the lower portion of the plants is bare, producing foliage and growth only in a tree-like canopy but true tree-form hydrangeas are trained to a single stem or trunk. And plants purchased already trained as standards will be unlikely to grow to these impressive proportions.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi gg148 - I think I may have asked this in the past & thought to ask again, if it is at all possible, to accomplish.

I've been looping, weaving & bundling Paniculatas' arching canes & using the taller sturdier center ones as support. I couldn't help imagining those center canes, braided, ala 'Ficus Benjamina' ... have you tried using this method, in training, tree-form H paniculatas, is it do-able?

Just curious ... TIA!