Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canonl0ve

My pee gee is looking like a ground cover!!!!

canonl0ve
13 years ago

I bought a tiny tiny tiny hydrangea plant from Lowes about a year ago that said it was a pee gee and would grow quite tall. I planted it in a big pot for lots of room and its more then tripled in size and looks fantastically healthy but the branches are just laying on the ground and on the sides of the pot. I do not know if i let the limbs grow to fast so that it would not gain any height. It also did not bloom but Im figuring its because its a baby and wouldnt hold blooms up anyway. lol Idk. It looks like a ground cover. Im at a loss. Should I trim all the limbs back?

Comments (2)

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

Pee Gee is known to flop...sorry but its a flopper, lol.

• georgia-rose
    13 years ago

It will eventually grow into a tall, multi-stem shrub, but if you want to speed up the process, it will need some training.

Select 3 or 4 of the stems near the center of the plant and remove the remaining ones by clipping them near the crown.
    Bundle the chosen stems loosely and stake them in an upright position, using wide cotton tape or use a cord or wire enclosed by plastic tubing or a piece of old garden hose, to avoid chafing the bark.

If you want to train as a standard or tree form, wait a few seasons and then select the largest, straight, upright stem and remove the rest. Prune any lower branches, long whips from upper branches and any other growth from the roots.

They bloom on new seasons growth, so pruning can be done anytime after the flowering period, until spring.

You can root the cuttings, for additional plants. Select limber, not rigid, stems and cut them just below the lowest leaf node, remove all foliage except those leaves at the apex (cut those in half, horizontally, if large) and insert the stems into a well drained pot of sand, perlite and a small amount of compost, loam or potting mix (w/o Fertilizer) and keep it moist.
    If your atmosphere is typically low in humidity, you may need to "tent" the pot with a clear plastic bag, secured around the pot with a rubber band or cord. Use stakes to prevent the plastic bag from touching the cuttings. Roots will often begin to form after 4-6 weeks, but I usually leave them to grow for about 6 months, before potting them individually.

If you fertilize, and potted plants usually require some form, you may benefit from your own experiences or seek the advice of your local County Extension Agent.
    I use a balanced water soluble type, usually 20-20-20, for seedlings, tissue cultured and cutting grown plants.

Good luck!