Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any flowers on Oakleafs this summer?

Posted by auntpeach z5 il (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 19:22

Was our horrible winter the cause of all my Oakleafs still without blooms? I did find just a few, tucked under the upper branches, but that's it, folks. And what will happen next year with no blooms now ...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any flowers on Oakleafs this summer?

One of mine has flowers, but none of my mopheads do. My paniculatas are wonderful, though.

o

Almost all the oak leaf varieties did great here. I had a couple that didn't bloom but they are only in their second year.

o

I am wondering the same thing, last year had over 300 flowers on all my hydrangeas, this year lucky if I got 50, what is the problem, should I trim them now or just let them go

o

Last year the deer ate them all down, so no bloom. This year they have recovered and bloomed beautifully. Al

o

If anyone anywhere has deer around, I highly recommend tying sheets of screening around oakleafs in winter, because they eat the dormant buds.

Otherwise, oakleafs may experience hardiness issues in extreme temperatures.

o

oakleafs did well in Tidewater Va-not the Macs however....

o

Ditto here in Texas. One on the north side of the house did well and the one in the back even better. But the mopheads, well :o(

o

Your oakleafs are in the northern-most zone where they can grow, and you had an incredibly cold winter, so I imagine that the flower buds were winter killed. Most of the folks who responded are from farther south, and though they may have gotten colder than usual for them, I think that your winter was most likely much colder.

o

Thanks to all who responded. Winter kill seems to be the culprit; I've been noticing neighbors' oakleafs, for the most part, are also without flowers. We have no deer around us, happy to say. I do have the usual number of blooms on a Sike's dwarf but that's located in a nice protected spot where winter wind is minimal. But my Snow Queens are still flourishing, so I can still be thankful the plants survived, I guess!

o

I am in zone 5 Ohio and no blooms this year on my Oakleaf hydrangeas. A couple blooms started but the deer got them. It was probably that cold snap to -22F here.

My All Summer Beauty did not have a single bud survive the cold either.

o

I'm near O'Hare and had the same poor results on blooms. The foliage and growh this year however, is great.

o

Yes, John, with torrential rains 5 days out of 7 all summer, we sure do have foliage! :). Guess that's always better than severe drought.

In my life so far, I've never seen such heavy rains that can last an hour or more and happen so often. Been in this house 20 years and this is first time that topsoil has partially washed off and deposited down my front yard.

o

I've had an Oakleaf for nearly 20 years and this is the third time in that span that it didn't flower. One year it died down to the snowline. Definitely the cold winter.

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here