Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntpeach

Any flowers on Oakleafs this summer?

auntpeach
9 years ago

Was our horrible winter the cause of all my Oakleafs still without blooms? I did find just a few, tucked under the upper branches, but that's it, folks. And what will happen next year with no blooms now ...

Comments (13)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

One of mine has flowers, but none of my mopheads do. My paniculatas are wonderful, though.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Almost all the oak leaf varieties did great here. I had a couple that didn't bloom but they are only in their second year.

• cacecr
    9 years ago

I am wondering the same thing, last year had over 300 flowers on all my hydrangeas, this year lucky if I got 50, what is the problem, should I trim them now or just let them go

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

Last year the deer ate them all down, so no bloom. This year they have recovered and bloomed beautifully. Al

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

If anyone anywhere has deer around, I highly recommend tying sheets of screening around oakleafs in winter, because they eat the dormant buds.

Otherwise, oakleafs may experience hardiness issues in extreme temperatures.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    9 years ago

oakleafs did well in Tidewater Va-not the Macs however....

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Ditto here in Texas. One on the north side of the house did well and the one in the back even better. But the mopheads, well :o(

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Your oakleafs are in the northern-most zone where they can grow, and you had an incredibly cold winter, so I imagine that the flower buds were winter killed. Most of the folks who responded are from farther south, and though they may have gotten colder than usual for them, I think that your winter was most likely much colder.

• auntpeach
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all who responded. Winter kill seems to be the culprit; I've been noticing neighbors' oakleafs, for the most part, are also without flowers. We have no deer around us, happy to say. I do have the usual number of blooms on a Sike's dwarf but that's located in a nice protected spot where winter wind is minimal. But my Snow Queens are still flourishing, so I can still be thankful the plants survived, I guess!

• pandora
    9 years ago

I am in zone 5 Ohio and no blooms this year on my Oakleaf hydrangeas. A couple blooms started but the deer got them. It was probably that cold snap to -22F here.

My All Summer Beauty did not have a single bud survive the cold either.

• illinois_john
    9 years ago

I'm near O'Hare and had the same poor results on blooms. The foliage and growh this year however, is great.

• pandora
    9 years ago

Yes, John, with torrential rains 5 days out of 7 all summer, we sure do have foliage! :). Guess that's always better than severe drought.

In my life so far, I've never seen such heavy rains that can last an hour or more and happen so often. Been in this house 20 years and this is first time that topsoil has partially washed off and deposited down my front yard.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

I've had an Oakleaf for nearly 20 years and this is the third time in that span that it didn't flower. One year it died down to the snowline. Definitely the cold winter.

tj