Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chebella_gw

No blooms...and I really did NOT prune!

CheBella
14 years ago

OK, I need some help, or rather my Nikko Blues do.

I bought 2 very large Nikko Blues in pots from a good local nursery at an end-of-season sale (beginning of autumn) 3 years ago. We planted them at the outside corner of a fence that encircles the middle of my backyard. The fence is 4' tall pickets, so it shades the sun on that side somewhat, but not entirely. The fence at their back is West; their front and sides receive East, South and North. The southernmost one blocks a certain amount of the southern sun. In general, they receive *plenty* of sun.

They were planted in an amended mixture with greensand, sand, kelp, and compost added to our already embarassingly-fertile soil. (Did I mention I live next to a 300-year old churchyard? I truly believe my neighbors help my soil a great deal...it's like crumbly fudge brownies.)

The 1st year, we got some very nice booms from both. The 2nd year, we got a few blooms from one, and none from the other, this year, the 3rd, we have lots of foliage but NO blossoms at all.

I did not prune last year, only heaped grass and leaf clippings around them to keep them cosy during the winter. Also, the southern-end plant is about double the size of it's neighbor to the north.

One notable item is that their was a significant vining weed which climbed around the fence and amongst them. It looked rather nice, which is perhaps why we did not get rid of it immediately. But we *did* get rid of it, even if it took us several sessions. (The more we cut, the more there seemed to be of it.)

Does anyone have any ideas about my leafy hydrangeas?

They have gotten quite large, but some blooms would be handy. Also, they are part of my little "memorial corner" for the dogs. I have their pawprints in a little concrete piece in the corner, and the plan is to grow perennials with names that commemorate the kids. The Nikko Blues were the first pair, honoring my giant lump-o-love, Nico, a rescue Golden who was twice as big as normal, 26" at the shoulder, and 125 pounds. He was also twice as affectionate as a normal Golden, and that's saying a lot!

So, I really would like them to succeed. (They have some of Nico's ashes amidst the roots also.)

thank you!

Donna

panting and seating in NY, where summer has finally come

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert