Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamlsexton

Drooping Pinky Winky's

adamlsexton
10 years ago

I've just planted 13 pinky winky hydrangeas in my back yard. They are 4 feet apart with grass between and a good circle of mini pine bark nuggets around each. 6 of the 13 are always droopy. I've read here on the forums that drooping daily is normal and that they'll perk up in the morning. My problem is that no matter how much water they get, they are never perky in the morning. They are always drooping. I'm afraid I'm going to lose them. The soil seems to be moist enough. They are in a south facing spot that gets a fair amount of shade from a few large trees. Any suggestions?

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

The summer weather causes them to wilt and droop. A windy location can also contribute to this. It is something I would expect in the worst of the summer months... and relief from the temperatures in the Fall should help.

I live with that problem during July and August because the temperature are usually in the 100s. But as you pointed out, they should recover on their own hours after nightfall. About 1-2 gallons of water per watering during the worst of August may help. Some protection from the sun always helps... I made a contraption mylself once year; you can use 35% shade cloth if you can find it. Ck with plant and landscape companies. A temporary bright shade will be fine.

But make sure that you do not keep the soil wet as this will contribute to developing root rot.

With the weather as hot as it is here, I would skip planting anything until temperatures moderate. Not sure if that might have helped where you live though.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

If I'm understanding you correctly, these are new Pinky Winkys (less than one season in your yard). That is their problem most likely. My Pinky Winky drooped for its first two years, and now in its 3rd year, just last week, I provided props for two of the lower branches that were hanging down too far. However, the rest of the plant seems to be quite perky--in its 3rd year, mind you.

Also, you seem to be saying that it is in a somewhat shady spot. You are aware that Pinky Winky and the other paniculatas are sun-lovers, aren't you? That said, mine is planted where it gets 3-4 hours of morning sun and some dappled sun for the next 3-4 hours--not the best spot, but it seems to be getting along nicely--but I suspect I'd have less "droop" and more bloom if it got more sun--alas, no place left to move it to!

I think some maturity will solve a number of your problems, at least to some extent.

Kate

• echinaceamaniac
    10 years ago

'Pinky Winky' is such a weakling Hydrangea. The blooms aren't that great either. I've had mine 3 years now. It's ok, but the blooms are kind of small compared to 'Limelight' and not as nice as 'Vanilla Strawberry.' It does seem to wilt in summer in full sun more than the other paniculatas I have here. It looks good this year, but that's because the summer has been cooler than normal and it's raining a lot.