Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Hydrangea Little Lamb wilted - will it come back?

sue36
15 years ago

I purchased a very large Hydrangea Little Lamb from a nursery near us. The bush is already 4' tall and wide and cost $80 and was in a large pot. It wilted badly soon after I got it and I thought it was lack of water. When I watered it would bounce back some, but not fully. I epected it to be root bound, but when we took it out of the pot there were almost no roots. There were no roots in the bottom half of the pot. DH thinks they didn't take enough roots for the large size of the shrub.

Do you think it will come back? Other than watering it, anything I should do? Thanks.

Comments (9)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

To this day, I have yet to find a plant -except trees- whose roots grow as deep as the pot into which it was planted. They are never fully rooted or rooted enough where the roots extend all the way down into the bottom half of pots.

Wilting is caused by one of two things, high temperatures or windy days. Both cause the plant to loose moisture throuhg the leaves faster than the roots can replace it. As a result, the plant wilts and reduces the leaf surface in direct contact with the sun. Unilt summer temperatures are replaced with cooler fall temperatures, you just have to wait.

But note that if the soil is moist or feels wet, you actually do not have to water at all. The plant should recover by nightfall or by next morning on its own. Mine are all wilted thanks to the daily dose of 105+ temperatures but they come back but 9pm. Just mulch, mulch, mulch (3-4" worth past the drip line) and then water when the soil feels almost dry or dry. The only exception I make to that rule is: if the wilting episode ever seems extreme, water immediately.

In the future, when the plant is established (in 1-2 years), the plant will not suffer from as much wilting but it still will wilt on the worst days.

• sue36
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. The plants has been wilted for days, I can't get it to recover. Even with lots of rain and cloudy days it only partially recovers. The flower heads perk up some, but the branches have stayed flopped. It's been like this even after having heavy rains almost every afternoon.

I hope these things are unkillable, like hosta (well, other than all the voles eating my favorite hosta!).

• stillwelljill
    15 years ago

Sue36, Have you spoken with the nursery you purchased this hydrangea from and do they have any kind of guarantee with the sale of shrubs and trees? Little Lamb has an arching appearance(some might call it flopped)to its branches anyway, and it especially appears so when in bloom. The weight of the blooms causes the branches to arch and droop even more. Are the leaves on the plant wilted all the time or do they also perk up as you mentioned the flower heads perk up after being watered? Also, did you mulch the plant when you planted it, and are you checking how moist the soil feels 4" deep on a regular basis (even with heavy rains try to check this to actually see how moist the soil feels around the plant)?

• sue36
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The leaves are arched downward, I'm not sure if that is wilted or the normal habit. The flowers are definitely wilted. I know it is well watered. We don't use mulch, we use compost.

• Tim Wood
    15 years ago

This is a common problem on newly planted shrubs that are not yet established. These plants are grown in potting soils are mostly organic and if allowed to dry out, they are difficult to rewet again. When watering newly planted shrubs, lay the garden hose directly above the roots and let the water trickle slowly into the potting soil. Sometimes a few drops of liquid dish soap per gallon of water can assist in rewetting the potting soil if it has dried out. The soap breaks down the water tension and allows for better wetting.

Check your plants regularly the first year to make certain that the soil remains evenly moist. Use your finger to probe the potting soil. If you feel moisture, all is fine, if not, drenching the roots as described above. Once your plant is established, it should require little attention unless you experience a prolonged drought. If so water accordingly.

Little Lamb takes a few years to mature and build its stem strength. Once it has matured it holds its blooms up well.

If your plant is very stressed you might also cut it back to reduce the water loss thru its leaves. A good hard trim is will also help to build a good bush plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: The plant Hunter

• sue36
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I case people on here are looking for info on Little Lamb I thought I'd respond to my own post. The garden center told me they would guarantee the plant, so I left it in the ground. It was never "happy" last year. However, this year it leafed out beautifully and there was little loss of branches. I am very happy with it now.

• alisande
    14 years ago

I'm glad to read your update. I have a small vested interest because I'm expecting my own Little Lamb to arrive any day. Mine won't be large, though; quite the contrary. But I'm looking forward to watching it grow.

• stillwelljill
    14 years ago

Sue,
    I am so glad to hear all has turned out well with your Little Lamb. They are so beautiful hydrangeas, and I know yours will bring you a lot of joy!

• tamara1964
    13 years ago

Okay, here's another distress message. I planted a whole (future) hedge of Little Lambs this spring. I ordered quart-size plants with just 3 stems or so. They did quite well at first and even bloomed quite prolifically for their small size. Then we were away and our automatic watering system broke. It's been very hot here in Northern Virginia the past few weeks and we had no rain at all. They were watered every day for weeks and now went without any for about a week. Five of my eight plants look like they will recover (some wilted flowers, some wilted leaves, rest okay), but three of them look seriously fried and lost most of their blooms and leaves. I feel almost stupid to ask: Do I have any chance that they might recover or should I just order new ones?