Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksblase

In love with hydrangea plum passsion

Karenseb
9 years ago

Hi all, I saw a beautiful Aspera Hydrangea (plum passion) that I almost bought, but at the last minute noticed it said part shade to full shade. It is a large plant that I hate to put in if the location will not work. The spot is somewhat shady till 10AM and then has full sun till 3:30PM and full shade at 4PM. I live in the NW (Oregon) and it has been a hot summer. Is that too much afternoon sun and are there other hydrangeas to consider.
Right now there are 4 rhododendrons on the right side of the yard along the side fence. Then there is another rhodo on the left side of where I want to put the Plum Passion hydrangea. This is a picture of the area that I want to put in two large hydrangeas. Maybe different varieties.
I wanted one hydrangea between the little tree and the rhodo on the left (shade at 4PM). The other hydrangea I would locate between the little tree and the 4 rhodos on the right. (Sunny till 5PM). The empty area is about 25 feet by 10 feet deep with 2 trimmed up Junipers on the right and a Leland Cypress on the left.

The blue umbrella is trying to shade a plant that needs more shade till I can move it!

Comments (7)

• madeyna
    9 years ago

What part of the northwest are you in? Some areas have enough moisture content in the air that hydrangeas do well in ful sun. I see them in full sun all over the place here in Longveiw and were my mom lives in Forks. You just have to really water them well the first to years until they get thier roots deep in the ground.

• illinois_john
    9 years ago

I can't speak to that variety, but near Chicago, I have Endless Summer in full sun. They get at least 10 hours of sun. Four years in, I watered them twice this summer.

The first few years were a pain, but I'm now happy that I put them where I did.

Many macs will take far more sun than people think.

• Karenseb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Madeyna, I live just south of Portland, OR. I'm thinking of trying snow queen oakleaf hydrangea in the spot on the right of the backyard since I've read it likes more sun. I had a pee gee hydrangea Paniculata in Iowa that was great, but I'm not sure it would do as well in Oregon. It turned the most lovely shade of mauve in late summer. I really miss it. I am still tempted to get the plum passion hydrangea, but maybe in a smaller less expensive container and put it in a shadier spot.
    I was thinking a quick fire, winky pink or vanilla strawberry might work on the left side if I give it enough water. I'm thinking I may need to add soil to the area since the top 8 or 10 inches is old pine needles and years of accumulated mulch.
    John,
    I think I do have an Endless Summer in more sun and if the heat makes it droop, I water it and it perks back up. It has been blooming well.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

Karen, I was in your neck of the woods on monday during the heart wave. We were in Salem. Hydrangea plus is down near you . She was working on a display garden a few years ago so it might be worth a visit for you to pop over there. Keep in mind most hydrangeas you plant there are probly going to turn blue because of the acid soil. My glowing embers is turning a stunning dart purple under the same soil conditions and its in full sun. It took mondays 100 plus temps in full sun without missing a beat. Pinky winky took the sun monday just fine but pink diamond and guick fire drooped .Thier both in pots though so that was probly why. I watered them both that night and their leaves popped right back up.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Asperas definitiely need shade. I would not consider siting it in an area that receives that much midday sun. Some types of hydrangeas may tolerate it - asperas will not.

Here's the break down - paniculatas are fine in full sun. Lots of macs (and serratas) and most oakleafs will take a fair amount of sun provided sufficient irrigation is supplied. And asperas and arborescens are best protected from midday-late afternoon sun. And growing in containers is vastly different from growing inground so not sure I'd be comfortable with any comparisons on that front ;-))

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I was also going to suggest one of the paniculatas--but it partly depends on when you want your hydrangeas to bloom. Macs and hydrangeas like Annabelle bloom the first half of the summer; paniculatas bloom the second half of the summer.

Myself, I have a couple Annabelles in part shade/part sun for the first half of the summer, and a couple paniculatas (Pinky Winky and Vanilla Strawberry) in full sun all day long for the second half of the summer.

Paniculatas are sun-lovers.

Only certain Macs will turn blue. None of the hydrangeas I mentioned in this post will turn blue. Annabelle is white and the paniculatas I mentioned are half and half pink/white.

Another good paniculata choice (white) is Limelight (big and tall) or the shorter version Little Lime (about 4-5 ft tall).

There are other good paniculatas--I'm a real fan of these beauties.

I like the white ones--in the hot mid-summer dusty garden, the white ones look so crisp and cool and clean. And frilly and beautiful!

Kate

• Karenseb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maydena- Thanks for the head sup on Hydrangea Plus. I noticed they have and open house in Sept and will definitely take a trip down there!
    Gardengal- Thanks for the info concerning sun and hydrangeas. A Paniculata sounds like what I would like, since I would like to see some blooms mid to late summer in that area.
    Kate- It's good to hear SS and PW hydrangeas do well for you in the sun. White blossoms are a favorite of mine too, but I was hoping to see them turn a much darker pink or rust as they aged. Perhaps the Pacific Northwest weather is too mild too see the color I saw in Iowa.