Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livelsberger

Should I purchase a Limelight hydrangea: tree form

livelsberger
14 years ago

Hi...went into my Lowes tonight and saw tree form of 'Limelight.' I was thinking of purchasing one and keeping it watered till a better time to plant like in the fall. Can anyone tell me if they think this is a good idea? Also how does this cultivar compare to other hydrangea tree forms? It was stunning in @ Lowes and was only $36.98, about 5' tall and they had like a dozen or so left. Is this variety hardy, am I making a good choice? I have always wanted a tree form hydrangea...please post pics if you have any of it (in tree form)...Thanks!

Comments (20)

• ditas
    14 years ago

I'd get it in a heartbeat!!! Â;) Will march to our Lowes to check out ... will worry about where to put her later!!! seriously!

Check out Ostritch's 6' tall bush ... just look at the way she held herself in 3 yrs (I think)!!! Absolutely stunning as you saw in person! Â;) Please don't even think, that I'm enabling!!! LOL

• livelsberger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys...I went out tonight after work and purchased 2 Limelight trees...1 for me and 1 for my sister. I will post pics tomorrow...they are gorgeous and I don't think I will be disappointed. I asked the lady @ Lowes when they got these trees in and she said sometime last week. In my area (PA) she said they weren't selling any because of the heat, So I encourage everyone to RUN not walk to their nearest Lowes and purchase 1!!! I am giddy with happiness over these beauties!!!

• ditas
    14 years ago

DOUBLE CONGRATULATIONS!!! ... pls take one to your sis, along with her tree!!! Â;)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    14 years ago

I don't know....

While my Limelight tree is indeed lovely and floriferous, nothing at all wrong with it, a local nursery had Pink Diamond tree form, and I preferred that. Of course, this is personal preferance, but if I were to purchase another one, I'd go with the Pink Diamond, I liked the flowers more than the Limelight flowers, and the foliage seemed a richer color and lusher to my eye.

• ostrich
    14 years ago

OK, livelsberger and mxk3, I need to see your hydrangea trees!!! :-) Please post pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mxk3, I see what you are saying here. The Pink Diamond H has deeper green color foliage. The blooms are also less dense and more delicate. The Limelight blooms are large and dense, and while they look great from a distance, the details are less interesting up close.

I wonder if anyone has a photo of a PD tree?

• macgyver2009
    14 years ago

I live about 25 miles between 2 different Lowes. The Lowes to my north had limelight trees and the Lowes to my south had pink diamond trees. I have to admit that I was torn between the two for the exact reasons noted above. If I could find space for both, I would consider it as they are very reasonably priced. My local nursery also has two PD shrubs. Their young blooms reminded me more of my quick fire which I loved this year. My only concern with the PD trees at Lowes is that they seemed to be fly and wasp magnets, but still gorgeous. I'm planning to pick up the limelight tree today, but may have to take one last look at the PD as well. Too bad neither had Pinky Winky trees. That is my personal favorite in the garden right now.

• ostrich
    14 years ago

You guys are so lucky - I went to my local Lowe's last night and they did not have any hydrangea tree at all. For those of you whose local Lowe's carry them, run, don't walk!!!

• livelsberger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are the pix of my limelights that I purchased at lowe's

Here is a link that might be useful: limelight trees

• madeyna
    14 years ago

I,m so jealous those are beatiful. I went to our Lowes and they got a shipment of forever and ever pink hydrangeas in but no hydrangea trees of any kind . Its late in the season so the checker didn,t think they would be receaving any more.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    14 years ago

Here's a photo of mine I took earlier in the week. The foliage is on the skimpy side, probably because I just re-located it to this pot - dug it up from the front of the house in June and potted (the pot is hidden in this photo).

I wish I could 'hide' the neighbor's house, but the patio is sunken, and if I plant tall bushes to block the ugly view, it will block the air flow...sigh....

• madeyna
    14 years ago

That will be a very pretty spot for your tree. It will focus attention on it instead of the house behind it. Does anyone know how big they get?

• livelsberger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a closer look @ the blooms on my Limelight tree...

Here is a link that might be useful: Limelight Blooms

• Kathryn Stenwall
    7 years ago

I bought mine 4 years ago at home depot. Paid 19.95. It is just starting to bud right now. Fabulous tree. I do prune it much. Just full in a month or so with giant blossoms. Love it.

• suzannelmathew
    6 years ago

Has anyone seen any recently? I would love to have one!

• P TW
    6 years ago

suzannelmathew whereabouts do you live? I see Limelight standards all the time here in Toronto because it's hardy enough to live here. Both nurseries and big box stores have them, as well as other types of Hydrangea Paniculata standards.

I have a Limelight standard in my backyard and it's great! The actual hydrangea part so far grows to about 3.5 feet high (so the very top is around 7 feet high) and the branches are upright and strong--no drooping, even if pruned in the spring. One warning: it is top-heavy and so if your soil is moist/loose then the whole thing can get blown over quite a ways in higher winds. So you may want to stake it for a couple of years. Mine got blown over to quite an angle after several days of rain and then a big windstorm, and just two days ago I partially dug it up to straighten it out again.

• luis_pr
    6 years ago

Saw them at a local plant nursery on Sunday.

• suzannelmathew
    6 years ago

P TW I'm in Northern Virginia. I appreciate the tip on the top heavy issue. I've noticed that around us with newly planted trees being staked, it looks like I should do that too when I finally am able to get one. Thanks!

• Megan Happel
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Ok y'all I need help! I planted our lime light tree about a month ago and it was beautiful when we originally bought it. It hasn't looked the same since :/ I'm in Georgia and looking for some advise on what to do to get it looking healthy again. Here is a current photo...

can anyone see my photo? I can't...

• luis_pr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Sorry, no. No picture.

But, ugh, be aware that planting a hydrangea in the middle of the Summer always carries a host of problems. Yes, some people say it is ok and that you can plant at any time -in theory- but it is so much easier on the plant to plant when the weather is nice but Summer in GA is hot. I learned that the hard way ;o) when I was in ATL.

New shrubs will require lots of watering to keep happy, will sometimes require putting lawn chairs to protect from the summer sun, putting 2-4" of mulch up to the drip line, you will see seeing some yellowing of leaves (and falling of leaves) and seeing some leaf wilting episodes. Maybe that is some of what you are seeing.

Anyway, try posting the picture (s) again.

https://support.houzz.com/hc/en-us/articles/203916808-How-do-I-include-a-photo-with-my-post-or-comment-