Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there such a thing as an annual hydrangea?

Posted by tizzylizzyloo (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 21, 14 at 21:52

Ive been told some hydrangeas can be annuals that grocery stores sell...I never heard of this...this true? and what kinds are annuals if so?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there such a thing as an annual hydrangea?

Well, technically speaking they are not annuals but many of the commercial providers of these sometimes gorgeous-looking H. macrophylla mophead plants are sold in locations where they are not winter hardy. And if they are not winter hardy, they do not survive local winters when planted outside. So in essence, they become "annuals".

Another take on the term: the companies that supply these shrubs prefer (and will not complain) if you buy them, keep them while their blooms last, discard them when the blooms fade AAAND then buy another one. Ad infinitum as they say.

But with some of these shrubs, you can plant them outside and grow a full sized shrub. It probably helps if your climate is temperate. I have one that was purchased at a Kroger's store and it is doing fine. But how can anyone tell if they are winter hardy when they do not even provide the name of the variety or its hardiness zone in a plant label, right? Oh well. That is how they make their money.

If you ever buy one in Zone 7 or warmer, try planting them outside. Some may actually do fine in Z6 as well. For extra safety, winter protect it since they will normally be varieties that produce blooms from old wood. Old wood varieties develop invisible flower buds in July-August. But since these guys are forced to leaf out early, they may produce flower buds well before that on their first season. They will go back to normal cycles on year two.

o
RE: Is there such a thing as an annual hydrangea?

Some florists also grow mini-hydrangeas, almost bonsai type things. I believe it's technically possible to bonsai a hydrangea, but I'd certainly wouldn't expect anything with a fragile stem and root system to survive outdoors in a deciduous environment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here