Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
walla2butterfly

help with winterizing hydranias

walla2butterfly
14 years ago

I have someone telling me to trim them down to 4 incbes from the ground for the winter, is that right? I want to cover them this year. I didnt cover the 3 I had last year and 2 out of the 3 bloomed but someone sat on the one so that might be why it didnt bloom. I got 2 new different kinds this year. a limelight and evening shade. I am sure that the limelight will need shelter. they didnt bloom this year but I got them kind of late. so any answers?

Comments (5)

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

A re you talking about LimeLight Hydrangeas only? They bloom on new growth and do not need shelter. What zone are you in? 4 inches might be a little to low for a LimeLight, but you should hard prune it some time between late fall and early spring. I wait as long as possible till early spring to cut my LimeLight. Anytime after they begin to grow in the Spring you will be pruming off the flowers/buds.

• walla2butterfly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

okay, I was thinking that limelights needed protection. It is still a baby so I dont think I should prune it but if you think I need too. the other ones that I am trying to take care of 1) is a mophead. We had a hard winter and it did produce one bloom. the other 2 are lacecaps with verigated leaves. The one bloomed with several blooms the other one didnt but someone sat on it in the spring. The later ones grew really good this year and are looking great. The mophead didnt seem to grow. but it is in a shady spot, so I might have to do some trimming on the tree next to it. as for my zone it says 5 but when I look on the map the color for 5 isnt anywhere near it, it is the color for 6. I also have seen some maps that the us zone map hasnt been updated and most places have moved up at least 1 zone

• hydrangeasnohio
    14 years ago

Your Limelight defentily does not need protection. Your two Lacecaps will depend if you need winter protection. If you are a zone 6 then YES! Zone 7 you should be OK. I am a true zone 5b. My Lacecaps must have winter protection. I tie the canes up in fall with old towel strips. Wrap with burlap then stuff with leaves. Also I add a couple bamboo stakes for support. I have 6 to do every year. They have Lacecaps that rebloom now and bloom on new and old wood. (Twist n Shoute & Let's Dance Starlight) Sounds like you do need protection. I have a relative two hours away in zone 6a and more winters than not they do not produce. Obviuosly they do not protect them. The harder you prune the larger the flowers you will receive on the Limelight.

• walla2butterfly
    Original Author
    14 years ago

okay thanks. I have lots of leaves! I will keep in mind about the limelights. THe one I got this year didnt get shipped until late june early july, so it is pretty small. not much to cut unless I cut it to the ground

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi - Here's how I feel about my 12 marginally-tender bloomers in my zone ... for Pia, a dwarf little beauty ... a corrugated type rose-cone. All these cages are secured with landscaping pins including the rose-cone.

The steps *hydrangeasnohio* suggested is a standard for us, in our zone ... I thought of adding the *wrapped encagements* due to our wicked-winter-winds, that could be worst killers of canes ... last winter was such a killer & decimated much of mine, despite the meticulous efforts. The upside, the lower canes surged in Spring & offered lots of blooms, except for a few (All 3 Quercifolias, Petiolaris & 1 F&E = 0 blooms) ES & all ES types ... quite a bit less than '08, but blooms were huge & still sending clusters today!

Mulching heavily, your young Winter hardies couldn't hurt, perhaps, very calming, for your kind heart, for garden beauties!!! Â;)

Goodluck & have a floriferous 2010!

Here is a link that might be useful: Over-wintering pics