Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Little Quick Fire" & "Little Limelight" Hydrangeas

Posted by Jami-in-NYS 4 Mid-Hudson Val NYS (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 21:58

Hello Fellow Gardeners ~ I'm considering planting either "Little Quick Fire" or "Little Limelight" hydrangeas. Prior to making any final decision, I'd like to know your experience with either of these shrubs: Good or bad; pros/cons; hardiness; growth habit (shrubby/open/compact); how they look in bloom & out of bloom; foliage, etc. I live in a Zone 4 area, Mid-Hudson Valley of NYS. Thank you in advance for your help ~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Little Quick Fire" & "Little Limelight" Hydrangeas

I have no experience with the quick fire and little experience with little-limes. I just planted 8 little limes and they are very nice except the fact that they are stressed and have either lost some foliage or are weeping but that should clear up next year. The little limes should stay compact and tight in the right growing conditions (6+ hours of sun and moist soils) they should get about 4-5 feet tall and wide but I plan on pruning my back to stay about 3'x'3. I little limes look the best of the small tight shrubs. Limelights are the same just bigger and stemmy-er. Little Lambs look really nice too, very similar concept to little limes except the blooms are white. The limes blooms are the nicest I have seen in a compact, the lime green color is very cool but over exposure to sun will cause them to turn white and subsequently pink faster. These are very hardy shrubs and should grow fine in my zone 6a, not sure about your zone 4. Check Proven Winners website for more info.

o

You can Google image search for various states of bloom. All hydrangea paniculata begin mostly white and fade to pinks and browns.

Both are "dwarf" hydrangea paniculata, as they aren't supposed to exceed 5' in diameter. There would be zero dieback down to zone 3. All paniculata are drought tolerant and require full sun in zone 4. 'Long as the soil stays moist and mostly shaded, little manual watering would be needed.

Little Quick Fire just came out this year, so not many people have it. It would be a wise choice for mixed borders as full size QF (like mine) can exceed 7' in diameter. QF (a rare case) should NOT be pruned past early fall (when the leaves turn), and never after the plant begins to leaf out in spring - otherwise you will eliminate blooms before they happen.

Little Lime is a top-rated shrub. Each spring, simply prune out tiny outer branches and leave the thickest toward the middle. There are no pruning restrictions on Limelight.

QF stems are ruddy in color and have dark, rough, medium sized leaves. Limelights have much lighter stems and leaves (light green across the board).

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 23:35

Google Limelight and Quickfire to see the difference in blooms.

Quickfire blooms 6 weeks earlier than Limelight. The same holds true for their dwarf versions.

Consider the point above regarding the leaves.

Not sure what is being pointed out about pruning. You prune back H. paniculata late winter/early spring as the buds start to swell. Quickfire isn't any different.

Personally I like the shape and texture of my Quickfire and Little Quickfire more so than my Limelight and Little Lime. The latter WILL flop until they put on some caliper with their stems. I'd rather see blooms on the plants all summer vs. waiting until late July/early August for Little Lime and Limelight to finally bloom.

This was Quickfire in early July. My Limelight and Lime Light is just transitiioning from the lime to white.

photo photo2-5.jpg

o

Thanks to all who responded to my post regarding "Little Quick Fire" and "Little Lime" hydrangeas. Very helpful!

o

I have no experience with little quickfire, but I did recently plant a little lime in a half barrel container... gets about 4-5 hours of sun and seems to be doing okay. Similar to sampson's, mine is slightly transplant stressed and has been losing its inner leaves a bit. It's blooming beautifully though and the flowers are still green (I see a bit of pink creeping in on the edges). It rained recently and a couple of the larger clusters fell over, but I lightly shook the water off and they're popping back up as they dry out.

I'm really enjoying the LL so far!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here