Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ego45

Paniculatas season started!

ego45
16 years ago

OK, probably down South it's in a full swing already and up North it will start any day/week if not already started, but I would like to start this thread for everyone to post pictures of different paniculatas because this is the only hydrangea's group where northern growers could fairly compete with a southern growers and let deep-southern one greening with envy. At last. :-))

I'll start first. Please contribute. The more pictures and more different cultivars than better.

Quick Fire was true to advertising and start blooming for me at the end of June. Nice and quite different than Tardiva or Kuyshu lacecap version of paniculata.

{{gwi:1011703}}
Right now it just beginning to lose its pure white color and start transitioning to greenish pink exactly at the same time when PG start turning from green to white.

{{gwi:1011702}}

Little Lamb was the second one to bloom. Obviously full sun position helps.

Second week of July

Last week of July

Then a 'princess' Kuyshu decided to display all its beauty.

In a third week of July it was almost ready...

...but now it's in a full glory

PG probably need another week or so (in part shade)

Limelight (in even deeper shade) and Tardiva (in full sun) will need another two weeks. I'll show them later.

Show us yours!

Comments (9)

• ostrich
    16 years ago

George, thank you for those beautiful photos! I love paniculatas :-)

Now, let me show mine:

First, my limelight in full bloom!

A close-up of my Pink Diamond.

I guess I will show my newly planted Little Lamb and Snow Mountain Tree next season!

• iovemygarden
    16 years ago

1st season limelight closeup

the full picture including the pot that holds it. those are petunias growing with it.

• silvergold
    16 years ago

George - thanks for posting!! I wasn't sure if I was going to take pictures this year. But now I must go out there and do so!! Paniculata season is in full swing here too!

Jenny

• rooann
    16 years ago

Love the photos! Does anyone have advice about keeping tardiva standards round-headed and standing up? Mine seem to be growing very unevenly and as a result they are drooping- one of them right down to the ground in a heavy rain!

I planted a curving wall with 5 of them and they all look so different after 3 years that I'm wondering if this was a failed experiment! Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

• ego45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rooann, in early spring prune twisted/drooping branches down to two pairs of viable buds and keep vertical branches pruned at desired height keeping in mind that top set of buds can (and most likely will) produce extra 3' of the new growth.
    Generaly talking paniculartas are not the best subject for creating absolutely symmetrical plant, like say boxwood or holly, and even less so for 'matching a pair', not talking about 5 of them, but with some training (trial and error method only) you could make them look more or less uniformed.
    I'll try to make and post tomorrow picture of a pair of Limelight I'm training and you'll see what I'm talking about.

• yellowgirl
    16 years ago

OK..OK....I'm GREEN already!!!...I've made yet another new bed and transplanted Limelight for the umpteenth time and don't know if I'll get any blooms this year but if I do, I'll post a pic so you can see how utterly inferior the southern grown ones are to your northern ones. Hope that will even the score George!!....yg

ps...mine usually leaf out around Memorial Day and start blooming around Sept/October..how odd is that? You would think it would be the opposite way around but it is not. Go figure.

• ego45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I went out to make a pictures, but found them not to be very representative. Sorry.
    Anyway, here is the pair of Limelights planted 3 years ago as 15-18" rooted cuttings. I'm training them as a 'two-tier fountain' with single stem trunk and multi-stemmed 'fountain' at the bottom

Here they are separately. Left one.

and the right one

Despite my best efforts they are might be more or less symmetrical, but each in its own way and they are somewhat similar, but not match to each other.

• ego45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PG (and also a failed effort to create white & blue combo because ES used as a front/underplanting survived completely past winter and already aging to muddy purple)

• ego45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tardiva (probably a last post from me with a pics for a while cause I just dropped the camera and it's gone for good. At least it looks like it for now)

As of today. Almost ready. Don't be fooled by perspective, it's 8x8' shrub.

It's fun to look at previous year's pictures and see a progress.
    August 2004. The middle one was never planted, I opted for Ninebark 'Diabolo' instead. Never regreted that choice.
    {{gwi:251689}}

August 2005. Filling in.

August 2006. Still filling in.

August 2007. Done.