Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newflowergardener

what to do with browning flowers and leaves?

newflowergardener
16 years ago

Hi,

I have this Hydrangea for about half a year. After the first month, the flower and leaves start browning and have holes. It has been 6 months, and no improvement. Please see photos below.

Should I cut off the brown flowers and leaves? So, it can focus on growing new leaves and flower. Or should I leave it alone and wait until October pruning period?

Thanks.

{{gwi:1018820}}
{{gwi:1018821}}

Comments (13)

• luis_pr
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What variety is this hydrangea? Or is this a florist hydrangea? Browned leaves -specially on the edges- could be an indication that it needs more moisture. From your pictures, the top soil looks dry and does not appear mulched. Add 3-4" of mulch and try to maintain the soil moist (as opposed to either dry or wet). If you wish, you can deadhead the flowers.

• newflowergardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Luis Pr,

I think it is Hydrangea macrophylla, commonly called big-leaf or French hydrangea. Thanks for the advice. I will add mulch to it.

I am new to gardening. What do you mean deadhead the flowers?

Also, there are some small new leaves growing. Would it help the growth of new leaves if I cut off the old leaves with brown edge and holes?

Thanks.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Old or spent flowers will never get any better looking :-) They can/should be removed when their appearance starts to detract. Cutting them off just under the flowerhead right before the next set of leaf buds is best - this is deadheading. You don't want to cut back any further as this will interfer with the plant's ability to produce new flowers. And leave the old foliage alone. It may not look the best but it is providing a service to the plant and needs to be there. It will not prevent the growth of new foliage. Just make sure the plant is well watered and you'll be unlikely to see more of those browned edges.

And to expand on Luis' question - where did you get the plant? A bigleaf hydrangea that was in bloom 6 months ago (February?) is very likely to be a forced or florist's hydrangea. While it will eventually adapt and perform well in your California climate, it will not do so immediately. Forced hydrangeas are stimulated to bloom precociously and out of season through the manipulation of hormones, fertilizers and greenhouse conditions. It needs time to adapt to its inground situation and the outdoor climate.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Luis and I apparently posted almost simultaneously :-) His information is very good and should give you a sound basis for caring for your plant. I'd only add that depending on where you are located in California, a florist's hydrangea will transition into the garden pretty easily. And it will be far happier in the ground in mild climates than it will be grown as a houseplant, the purpose they are most often grown and sold for.

IME with hydrangeas grown in coastal Southern California, they bloom for a very extended period, only going through a semi-dormancy in late winter. I'm not sure exactly when these very temperate conditions allow for bud set, but I'd avoid anything other than the most superficial pruning (i.e., deadheading) to ensure you maximize the bloom potential.

• newflowergardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi luis_pr and gardengal48,

Thank you so much for the advice and information. I really appreciate it. It gives me a better understanding on how to help my poor hydrangea. Hopefully, next year I can report some good news. Thanks again.

New Flower Gardner

• slia_verizon_net
    12 years ago

I purchased my first hydrangea from supermarket in May. I transplanted to a pretty pot & placed outside in mostly shade with only early morning sun. But we're in the high desert of so. Calif..very hot in summer & over 100 degrees almost daily. I water daily but blooms are drying out and shriveling, as well as leaves. Can I save this plant?

• luis_pr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The hydrangeas offered for sale in the supermarket may have a hard time outside in the first year. But especially if planted in those conditions. I am not sure if this hydrangea will last long or thrive but, since mine do here in TX, well, here are some things you can check or do.

I would make sure that they are not in a windy location (summer winds dehydrate leaves even when the winds are light). Make sure that they get afternoon shade by 11am to 12pm because my hydrangeas (in the ground) also "complain" when they hit the daily 100s in the summer. And mine are usually in full but bright shade! Some 35% shade cloth may be useful if they are regularly exposed to afternoon shade.

The blooms will probably not be able to handle things well this year and will brown out. They are used to wholesaler and grocery store conditions, not hot daily 100s. The problem they have is the roots are small, cannot absorb a lot of water and of course, the environment is a bit "hostile" (high temperatures/hot-drying sunlight/lack of humidity). So if the blooms die, deadhead them and let the plant instead concentrate on producing a better bigger root system.

Mulch past the drip line is needed so the moisture does not quickly evaporate. I use 3-4" of organic mulch. To prevent over-watering and developing root rot, water the plant when a finger inserted into the soil to a depth of 4" feels dry or feels almost dry. Water the soil and never the leaves; do this early in mornings from the root ball outwards.

If the leaves droop or wilt, check the soil moisture. If it feels wet or moist, do nothing and let the plant recover on its own by night or by the next morning. If the soil is dry or almost dry then water it immediately. It takes 1-3 years for roots to grow large such that the plant is established in a garden. Once they do, these drooping episodes diminish but you always have to be on the lookout for them in the summer.

I am not sure what size of plant you got but, a 'normal' sized plant like they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot, if planted in the ground would use about 1.5 gallons of water per watering in the Summer and about 1 gallon at other times. Once the plant goes dormant, water it once a week or so if it is dry. Continue watering like that in the winter (I assume your soil does not freeze) and begin more frequent watering when the shrub leafs out in the Spring.

Since you shrub is in a pot, it will need more frequent waterings. Ck the top 1-3" of the potting mix to see if it has dried out. Move the pot if the soil is getting dry often. Some people have to water more than once a day. Some people also place their pots inside larger wooden pots to further protect the inner pot from wind, sun, heat but I have not tried this.

If the leaves turn brown from the edges inwards, the leaves need more water.

Good luck,

Luis

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

I would just add that the high desert of SoCal is not at all a very hospitable environment for hydrangeas, container grown or not. Just too darn hot and dry, even in full shade, for these monsoonal climate plants. And by dry, I mean humidity-wise as well as lack of rainfall (which can be addressed by irrigation).

You will certainly have much better luck growing in a container where you can site as best as you can and offer water as necessary but it is still going to be an uphill battle.

• Kiki
    6 years ago

Gd Day All, I have a question, if anyone can pls help. I purchased a potted mophead from home depot. I live in an apt in florida. I have a balcony thts shaded but its bright from sun, if tht makes sense. When I first brought her home I kept her in dining area tht gets indirect light. She lasted for about a mth before she turned green. So i added limelight to try n get her back to pink n white but now shes dried out partially brown and green. I thought maybe she needed more water but nothing is workin. Should I cut the blooms n wait till next yr? The stems are green theres plenty of roots. Not too many leaves left but there are new ones growin. Pls help. She was so beautiful when I brought her home....

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

The flowers have just aged past their prime. They will not regain color and you can cut them off - deadhead - as you wish (cut right below the flowers but above the next pair of leaves). Depending on the actual cultivar, you may or may not get any more flowers this season but if well cared for over winter, it should bloom again next year.

• Kiki
    6 years ago

Thank you I wasnt sure wht to do

• luis_pr
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I have a potted Pistachio Hydrangea whose blooms changed to green too and eventually, I expect them to brown out.

In case you are not familiar with deadheading, review the information in this link:

http://hydrangeashydrangeas.com/pruning.html

Under Method One, look for the section titled REMOVING OLD BLOOMS.

The plant label may indicate if it will rebloom (or stop by HD and ask).

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company