Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocgardener9b

'doublicious' hydrangea???

ocgardener9b
15 years ago

has anyone heard or have this plant? i stopped by home depot yesterday, and there were these hydrangeas called 'doublicious' from VIVA??? never heard of either one before. when i got home (after buying the plant ;))i looked it up on the internet and it was on VIVA??? website and not much information.

have to say that the flowers are GORGEOUS, the flower is compact and tight (not airy) with double flowers ...but have no idea how big it will get.. and would just like to know if anyone else has seen these...

thanks,

judy

Comments (7)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Hello, Judy. The press release indicated that it would be for sale on via HD and only in south but, I have not seen it here. It is worth of mention that the press release calls for a height of 3' but elsewhere in their website, they provide a height estimate of 5x5. Oookay??? The flowers resemble a Forever and Ever Double Lacecap I saw at Lowes.

Press release: "Homeowners throughout Texas and the Southeast will be the first to enjoy the amazing color explosion from ÂDoubliciousÂ. A soft pink color with dark green foliage, this hydrangea is hardy to zone 4 and will have a finished plant height of over 3Â."

Here is a link that might be useful: Press release and website

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Just got done writing tags for this plant for my employer (wholesale grower), so the distribution is NOT limited to the South or to HD, at least not for the coming season :-)) 'Doublicious' is reputed to bloom on both old and new wood (much like ES), the flowers are doubled (both of these factors contributed to the cultivar name), bloom color is affected by soil pH and the plant without pruning can be expected to reach 3-5' in height and spread, depending on growing conditions.

• ocgardener9b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you SO much... you guys are so GOOD. i have yet to plant it but can't wait 'til next year when it blooms for me vs the nursery.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

HD's in my area did not have them either. Their selections of Hydrangeas are extremely limited during these times of prolonged severe drought(2 years) and very limited to total outdoor watering bans.
    Gardeners use all available water trying to preserve what plants were already in place and aren't purchasing anything that will require additional water. The Arny Corps of Engineers are constantly draining our only source of water and the the level keeps falling. They also make many mistakes and release billions of gallons of water unnecessarily. Their incompetence is exceeded only by their arrogance and a mistake is just a ho-hum instance to them.
    /Sorry for the rant/
    Rb

• displaced_texan_2009
    14 years ago

I bought 5 of these at hd in peris ca about 2 weeks ago. I was going to buy more endless summer but these looked so much nicer so I decided to give them a try. So far, they are doing well. They are in acid soil but haven't turned bluish yet so we will see about that. I hope they do as well as my endless summer that I love.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    13 years ago

HD has doublicious in stock in Williamsburg--are the mops or lacecaps--any one have any experience with them????

• simplycharming
    13 years ago

HD has them now in stock in Michigan...zone 5.

I am glad to hear they bloom on old/new wood I passed because I didn't know anything about them yet.