Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galo_gw

Opinion, please!

galo
13 years ago

I almost place an order last night for 4 1st year hydrangeas from hydrangea plus, but now I'm wondering if I should order 2 2nd years.

What do people think?

Thanks,

Laura

Comments (11)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    13 years ago

I think the first year ones will grow so quickly, and id rather have 4 different small plants than just 2. I bought a small quart size hydr. at lowes last year, and its a nice size now. Some good soil and food and youll have 4 great plants!!

• galo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I was all set to Oder 4 last night and then got scared to pull the trigger!

• msalcido
    13 years ago

I would order the 4. They have some good prices right now. Pluse they do grow really fast. Do it pull the trigger! LOL.

• galo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok...I'll do it tonight! I have to wait until my husband isn't around. I just got back from the grocery store (we have 1-3yr old and 3-1yr olds) and the bill was higher than I'd like (isn't it always). I just hope the plants show up during the week, when he is at work :)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

They are having a sale now by the way:

"BIG SALE
    We're doing our 10/20/30 sale.

What is that you ask? Order $100 of plants or amendments and get 10% off. Order $200 of plants or amendments and get 20% off. Finally, order $300 of plants or amendments and get 30% off. This offer is good til just 9/30/10. This can apply for orders shipped now or in the fall. No coupon or code is necessary, the discount will come right off your order. Good for US Addresses Only!"

• msalcido
    13 years ago

Galo,
    Did you buy them? Please take photos when they arrive.
    I ordered four from Wilkerson Mills Garden. I'm anxious for them to get here but at the same time, think it's good they haven't because the planting site is not ready and our temps here are still over 90 degrees.
    I did go a bit crazy yesterday, one of the local nurseries had the ES Twist and Shouts (2 gallons) on sale for $10.00 each. I bought 3 of them. I only had room for one and now stumped on what to do with the other two. Time to dig out other stuff and make room. LOL.

• galo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I chickened out and only bought 2, but I'm still strongly thinking about the other 2. I bought the glowing embers and the harlequin. I'm super excited to get them both, but unsure if I should grow them under lights over the winter or keep them protected outside. When I get them I'll take pictures. I hope that's easy to figure out.

Msalcido, I buy plants all the time without knowing precisely where they got...however, we have so many open spots that it's not too hard to figure something out...the hard part is finding the time to plant and care for them...why don't kids nap 2x a day for years. It would make ins so much easier!

• msalcido
    13 years ago

LOL. I hear you. I have a 9 year old and it's constant nonstop with her. She has "had it up to here" with hydrangeas. LOL.

Well once you receive the first 2 you are going to be so excited you will want the other two. I'm ready for my four to arrive. Hopefully they will soon.

Keep us posted on how your new arrivals do.

• msalcido
    13 years ago

Hi galo,
    How are your new hydrangeas doing? I just received 3 from hydrangea.com Love them. I also ordered two from Hydrangea Plus which will be arriving next week. I ordered a Lady In Red and an Amethyst. I can't wait for them to arrive.

I posted pics of the ones from Hydrangea.com on a new post here titled New Hydrangeas. Very happy with them.

Hope you and yours are well.

Mike

• ivysmom
    13 years ago

I just pulled the trigger on 5 2-year-olds from Hydrangeas Plus. Thanks for the heads-up about their sale. Sometime next week, there should be an ASB, Nikko Blue, Trophy, Madame Emile Mouillere and Oregon Pride on the way (along with some AL SO4 supplement in my front yard. Along with the 8 little Masjas I am growing in a pot (from eBay). I am hoping to have a very colorful front yard next Spring (complete with morning glories, moonflowers and hummingbird/trumpet vines climbing up the fence and our birdfeeder pole).

Yay!

• msalcido
    13 years ago

@ivysmom. Nice! It's addictive isn't it? I don't have room for all the ones I've ordered. I have pots all over the place. LOL.

Enjoy!