Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea ID & Eradication

Posted by squirejohn 4 VT (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 2, 11 at 9:44

Could you please tell me what this variety is? It's an old fashion "over the fence" variety that was given to us about 30 years ago. It's extremely vigourous and has taken over a large section of lawn. I'd like to eliminate it and replace with another less "invasive" variety. It's just about impossible to dig out the roots and wonder how effective a herbicide would be.
I'd be greatful for any advice.
Thanks,Photobucket
John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea ID & Eradication

It looks like Annabelle to me. Does it have blooms that start white and turn green (as they look in your picture)? Annabelle is very winter hardy and a reliable bloomer. It can get 6' wide in some places. It has big blooms but the stems can be weak. The stems sometimes bend when the blooms get wet.

You could rejuvenate the shrub by pruning 1/3 of the oldest stems all the way to the crown in late winter, prune the next third a year later and prune the rest in two years. Annabelle can be pruned at almost any time of the year (not when it is about to bloom so you can enjoy the blooms).

I have not tried to kill one so no comments there but, you could transplant it or offer it to gardening clubs who have fall sales to raise cash.

Luis

o

Yes it does turn green so I assume it's Annaballe. Although I've tried to keep it in check it has expanded to an area of about 10' X 15'. I wound up cutting it down and grubbed a 4' diameter hole which took several hours in which I planted a newly purchased H. Limelight. I planted grass seed in the remaining disturbed area in hopes that the grass will grow and I can eventually kill off the Annabelle roots with the lawnmower. If not, I'll have to resort to herbicides.
Thanks for your response.
John

o

You're welcome. The original single shrub could have propagated via suckers that, given enough time, became two or more large (wide) multi-plant shrubs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here