Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suz16_gw

Neighbor destroyed my Smith+Hawkins hydrangea

suz16
9 years ago

My neighbor destroyed my garden next to her house to install siding.
I gave her permission to trim privets in her way, but she overstepped and took out my whole garden. I'm heartbroken. Among all my precious plants she took out a lacecap hydrangea I purchased at Smith + Hawkins before they closed 4 years ago. I thought it was called Butterfly Blue, but that search term doesn't come up with anything. Does anyone happen to have one and know the name? It had enormous ruffled edge white flowers with tiny blue centers surrounding blue center area. It was barely hardy to zone 6.

Comments (5)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Took out...err do you mean trimmed up ? cut to ground, dug up and trashed, or salted the ground so that it will be barren for perpetuity ?

If neither of the last two, you should see it again next year. Though, I'm fairly sure I'd have words with neighbor and possibly small claims court.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

Your neighbor has the right to prune your shrubs extending into her yard, but I would never give her access to my property. Most cities have a clearance required, typically 5 feet, on which no structure can be built to allow enough room to maintain the structure without using your property. Look for your Hydrangea to grow back from the roots in the spring. Al

• suz16
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All plants and shrubs were cut to ground level, trampled on,and some were pulled out. My neighbor is very smart and talented but she has some challenges and we all try to help her out in this neighborhood. We're always chatting about plants, so she knows better. She lovingly cares for her own garden, and yet treated mine like you-know what.
    Her house abuts my yard because many eons ago it was the garage on my property. I understand she wants to fix up the siding. We've offered many times to fix the siding for her, since it's on my side, she was out of work and had no money. The guy who is working with her is probably a new boyfriend. After blowing up at her, I insisted they remove the mountains of cut branches they left piled up on top of my other beds, and I could hear her laughing as they did. I so hope the shrubs can sprout from whatever roots are left, there's nothing above ground, and we're having some hot late summer weather now.
    It's already done, so I have to get past it, I know it's not the end of the world.
    Thanks for the encouraging advice about the roots and letting me vent!

• eaga
    9 years ago

Do a web search for Hydrangea macrophylla Blauling or Blaumiese. They are both lacecap hydrangeas that sound like they might be close to what you had. I would post a link but the photos I found were varied. Sorry
    about what happened to you and your garden.

• suz16
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did an image search for Blauling and Blaumiese. Wow, there really is a lot of variation! Very pretty. They must hybridize easily and since they're also affected by pH, they're further variable. I guess I may never find the exact one. I've never seen it growing anywhere else. I watered the root area where it was, in case there's any hope. Oak-leaf hydrangea is replaceable, although it would take years to grow. Same with lilac, hellebores, roses, clematis, irises and ferns etc.