Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a 'right' time to deadhead flowers?

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 14, 08 at 10:05

I have 2 hydrangeas one on each side of my walkway to the front door. At this time it appears that one of them (the blue one) has more than one stage of growth on it. the other looks tired.

I have 2 things in mind. One I"d like to save the flower heads for a project. Two, I'd like to try my hand at propogating them. If timing is important for either of these activities, I'd like to know.

I'll tell you that #2 is of far more interest than #1 listed above :) Can I accomplish both at the same time?

NOW:
Photobucket

Photobucket

EARLIER THIS SPRING/SUMMER
Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a 'right' time to deadhead flowers?

You can deadhead at any time. It is pruning should not be done starting in August-September. For information on drying hydrangeas, check the link below. The closer you are to fall, the better but this varies geographically somewhat. If the blooms feel paper-y like, they are ready to be used for cut flower arrangements.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drying Blooms

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 14, 08 at 16:28

will cutting these faded flower heads off NOW, help or encourage any new blooms? We still have a good bit of warm weather ahead. And if I do cut these faded flowers off, can I just simply cut a bit more and use those cuttings (minus the flowers of course) to try to root? Or would this be more along the lines of actual pruning to get enough plant cuttings for rooting.

In other words, if I cut some back now, will it do anything to enhance or hinder the plant?

o

You can encourage new blooms via deadheading (removal of the spent flowers) only if your variety is remontant (blooms more than once). Exampes of remontant macrophyllas are the Endless Summer Series, Forever & Ever Series, etc. Other varieties like Nikko Blue, etc will not rebloom if you deadhead.

Regarding pruning/cutting back...

Non-remontant macrophyllas bloom once per growing season. Period. Prune a stem after the flower buds have developed and the stem will not flower in the next growing season (Year 2009) at all. You would see blooms in Spring 2010.

Remontant macrophyllas are a different story. They bloom in the Fall but they also bloom in late Spring and summer. In the north, remontant hydrangeas will bloom twice; three times if you are lucky. In the southern states, remontant macrophyllas may have 3 blooming seasons although... that is never written in stone. If you prune one of their stems now, the stem will not bloom in mid-to-late Spring 2009 but it will bloom in the summer 2009 or close to Fall 2009.

Does this help?
Luis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here