Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditas_gw

20 year old nikko (never) blue finally moved!

ditas
14 years ago

Good morning -

I finally got the nerve to move Nikko (never) Blue. I was planning this since June & mauling over it a lot longer, with hopes to carry out plans this Fall. For security, in case the efforts failed (following GeorgeÂs suggestions) I did some cuttings & after visiting *HydrangeasHydrangeas site* I learned about ÂSplit-pot ground-layering  did a couple as well.

I was excited to find that both split-pot specimens have rooted well  after severing from mom Nikko  roots were oozing out of the pot-holes & young stems w/ leaves have developed from several leaf nodes  the question now is whether to set them in ground or over-winter in the garage?

Considering the age of Mama Nikko & not knowing what kind of root system IÂll be dealing with, I hired some assistance  & the pleasant surprise  roots were not as monstrous as I imagined & feared from a 20y/o 5Â+tall x4Âwd shrub  also, 5 individual plants separated almost spontaneously, with some roots entangled, as expected, but easily separated w/ very little breaks!!!

Old Nik is now in a, close to ideal, spot & new LÂlight planted in NikÂs vacated sunny site. Hopefully, Winter does not come very early to give a bit of time for the 2 to settle down  ÂHydrangea Angels watch over them!!! Â;)

I hope this experience can help others thinking of moving old H shrubs ... will up date as needed. Thanks for reading! Â;)

Comments (11)

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Congrats on the big move. It sounds like you will have enough Niks to do a hedge. I,ll keep my fingers crossed for a indian summer for you so they all get a chance to get settled in well.

• macgyver2009
    14 years ago

That must be a big relief. What a job. Hopefully Nikko and LL will be happy in their new homes and get settled in before winter.

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

G'morning Madeyna & Macgyver - Yes, quite relieved ... it was a cool day when the project was accomplished, the 2 guys got sweaty as they carefully lifted Nik ... despite my reassurances that I already have good rooted g'layered stems as well as cuttings.

I'm afraid Niks won't do as a hedge in my zone, as they'll require meticulous winter-coverups to bloom the following season. We planted the 3 larger clumps together, in the huge hole I prepared ahead ... the other 2 are still sitting in a bucket of water. I pruned the planted ones to a 3rd & clipped all of the huge leave, to ease demands on the roots as they stabilize ... so far no signs of distress, but it's too early to tell.

She has never produced any blue clusters over the 20 yrs ... lavender was her best effort, despite A.S. applications (she was a *blue beauty* when the kids presented her on Mom's Day 1989). Now in her new home I'll apply A.S. & offer coffee drinks ... perhaps, away from the cement patio, will oblige!!!

Thanks again & have a great Fall day!!! Â;)

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello again to those who might be curious - my relocated old Nik is on her way ... hooorray!!! Many sprouts are coming from the ground & the node buds on large stems, have even leafed out!!! Now the winter-coverup would be so much simpler.

The 2 pot/ground-layered stems are doing very well too, after repotting ... sank 1 in a temp hole with intentions of over-wintering out there. The other will go in the garage, as well as the huge pot w/ 3 (now)well rooted cuttings ... might keep them as patio-container-bloomers ... with hopes to turn them blue!

Oh, I stuck another, dug-up clump, in a large pot with hopes of putting up for adoption in Spring.

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Its great to hear they are all doing well. I hope you turn at least one blue. I bought two blue billows and turned on pink since its fun to have two of the same plant in two different colors. Mine are in pots of course so that makes the color changes easier.

• romatravel
    14 years ago

what is the best time of year to move and divide - I also have two 30 year olds and want to divide them but only at the best time of year for survival.

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Ditas have you tried layering a very large hole with thick plastic to then putting the plant in it (leave the very bottom open). At my last place thats how I kept my pinks pink in our acid soil. The only draw back I noticed was they plant never got as big as the plants planted in directly in the ground without the plasic lining. On hind sight I probly didn,t make the hole big enough for the roots. I think it was probly some where in the 10 to 15 gallon range.

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

romatravel, you can do the project now in the fall or when the shrubs are dormant later this fall. As soon as the leaves and flowers dry out, you should be ready. In my neck of the woods that can be anytime as early as late October and as late as mid December though... varies a lot by year.

Congratulations on a successful move, ditas. And on the propagation. Did you do anything special watering wise?

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi romatravel - Depending on your zone ... if you still have time before Winter sets in, I think you might still have a bit of time ... Fall planting is always great for me. However you won't have time to ground-layer stems as I have done, ahead of time for insurance, in case digging & relocating fails ... you might be able to still do some stem clippings to grow indoors.

As with this first attempt I did, it only took 2 weeks for the clumps to prove their resiliency & show survival from the assaults of the shovels & stress of the relocation. Knowing what I know now, in my zone I still have 'til Nov. I suggest you talk to a respectable/knowledgeable nursery, for their thoughts as well ... Good luck!

Hi Madeyna - The pot-layering I did was basically similar & I think simpler, since I had to remove them from the, less than ideal site. I have another that I ground layered, an ES, in the mom's adjacent site, simply because the stem was naturally arching down on the ground. I did a shallow furrow, covered with soil & topped with a brick. I'll be checking in Spring.

Several different H. stem clippings, I attempted this summer seem to be doing well ... will over-winter in the garage & plant them for my dil!

Have a great Fall day!

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Luis - Thank you for the greetings! I did the first watering, with *MG Root Stimulator* solution & we planted the 3 clumps together using *Organic Cotton-Burr* compost mixed into the back-fill soil as my usual way of planting shrubs etc.

As you read above in the 1st post, what surprised me was finding separate clumps that would easily, be grown into individual shrubs, if only I knew & had prep'd holes ahead, as I did for the move of anticipated rootball we dug up.

I thought it was worth sharing ... for others thinking of relocating or splitting an old Nikko.

• ditas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello - I thought to bring this thread back up to update on the survival of old Nikko & broods from the very challenging winter past. All are doing great & leafing out very well. The large root ball that had time to adjust by end of Sept. seem promising to be as large a shrub as before, judging from all the survival of all the new shoots of last fall (are those considered old wood?).

The Sticks in a pot, overwintered in the garage have developed node bumps (leaf buds) and are now just getting larger & ready to burst ... the large pot I sank in a hole is far more advanced & the shoots coming from the base are thicker & leafing eagerly ... true test of resiliency would be show of blooms, however small, right?!

FWIW