Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea Annabelle - Will it grow in Florida?

Posted by love_the_yard z9A Jax FL (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 11, 09 at 10:16

I fell in love with Hydrangea Annabelle when I was in Michigan in August. They were GORGEOUS! The giant white mopheads are just beautiful! Will they grow in Florida? Or is it just too darn hot here? How about if it is planted in shade? Or does it require sun to bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea Incrediball - Will it grow in Florida?

How about Incrediball Hydrangea? Anyone have experience with it in Zone 9?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabulous and Foolproof: Incrediball

o
RE: Hydrangea Annabelle - Will it grow in Florida?

It may be difficult as they like some cold. We had a member, yellowgirl, who was trying to grow Annabelles in the Orlando area. She had mentioned that it was difficult due to the sandy soil requiring lots of water and due to the heat. She has been 'incomunicada' for some time and am not sure how to contact her. If you wish to try, post often and keep us updated of your progress.

o

I think that Annabelle is one of these few things that do better in a northern climate than the hot, hot, hot climate like Florida! :-)

o

The USDA plant database shows it as native to Florida, but I suspect it is best for Northern Florida. It would be great to get first had experience from people in Florida to see how far south it can go.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Native Range map

o

Is that link for the specific variety Annabelle? Or just general hydrangeas? I don't have any trouble at all growing Nikko and some of the other run-of-the-mill varieties. They do fine in north Florida if planted on the north side of the house or in shade. They get fried in the hot sun. But I am still interested to know if anyone has had success with Annabelle or Incrediball in Florida?

Here are my regular old Hydrangeas:

Hydrangea

o

I bought an Annabelle in Illinois and brought it down to Fort Lauderdale in the spring. I planted it in a huge pot, gave it Hydrangea food, and put it on my patio where it is mostly in the shade. This summer it bloomed beautifully! Now, in August, it is starting to go into what we would call hibernation for these plants, up north. The flowers have greened and some of the leaves are dying.
Unless someone else has a suggestion for care during a Florida winter regarding these plants. I am going to leave it where it is, feed it, and see what happens.
I just wanted to say that they DO grow even as far south as here, if you work at it.
I too miss things from up north (lilacs, cherry blossom trees, etc.). I may try my hand at potting a small lilac bush down here. I love attempting the somewhat impossible. The garden center I buy from gives you a year to return a plant if it dies, which leaves room for error.
;)

o

This is a follow up photo of my Hydrangeas as of August 6, 2014. Seemingly normal for the Midwest. We'll see what happens down in South Fla.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here