Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Hydrangea Annabelle - Will it grow in Florida?

I fell in love with Hydrangea Annabelle when I was in Michigan in August. They were GORGEOUS! The giant white mopheads are just beautiful! Will they grow in Florida? Or is it just too darn hot here? How about if it is planted in shade? Or does it require sun to bloom?

Comments (13)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How about Incrediball Hydrangea? Anyone have experience with it in Zone 9?

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabulous and Foolproof: Incrediball

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

It may be difficult as they like some cold. We had a member, yellowgirl, who was trying to grow Annabelles in the Orlando area. She had mentioned that it was difficult due to the sandy soil requiring lots of water and due to the heat. She has been 'incomunicada' for some time and am not sure how to contact her. If you wish to try, post often and keep us updated of your progress.

• ostrich
    14 years ago

I think that Annabelle is one of these few things that do better in a northern climate than the hot, hot, hot climate like Florida! :-)

• Tim Wood
    14 years ago

The USDA plant database shows it as native to Florida, but I suspect it is best for Northern Florida. It would be great to get first had experience from people in Florida to see how far south it can go.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Native Range map

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is that link for the specific variety Annabelle? Or just general hydrangeas? I don't have any trouble at all growing Nikko and some of the other run-of-the-mill varieties. They do fine in north Florida if planted on the north side of the house or in shade. They get fried in the hot sun. But I am still interested to know if anyone has had success with Annabelle or Incrediball in Florida?

Here are my regular old Hydrangeas:

• Shelly K.
    9 years ago

I bought an Annabelle in Illinois and brought it down to Fort Lauderdale in the spring. I planted it in a huge pot, gave it Hydrangea food, and put it on my patio where it is mostly in the shade. This summer it bloomed beautifully! Now, in August, it is starting to go into what we would call hibernation for these plants, up north. The flowers have greened and some of the leaves are dying.
    Unless someone else has a suggestion for care during a Florida winter regarding these plants. I am going to leave it where it is, feed it, and see what happens.
    I just wanted to say that they DO grow even as far south as here, if you work at it.
    I too miss things from up north (lilacs, cherry blossom trees, etc.). I may try my hand at potting a small lilac bush down here. I love attempting the somewhat impossible. The garden center I buy from gives you a year to return a plant if it dies, which leaves room for error.
    ;)

• Shelly K.
    9 years ago

This is a follow up photo of my Hydrangeas as of August 6, 2014. Seemingly normal for the Midwest. We'll see what happens down in South Fla.

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Keep an eye on the water department as I would think it is too early for them to go dormant in FL. Seeing leaves browning out this early made me think about soil moisture problems. Maybe someone else in FL will chime in about when theirs go dormant.

My shrubs down here go dormant in November or December so I expected yours to go dormant after mine do.

So, don't forget to water it during the fall and in winter (once a week or once every two weeks). Mulch it too so the water does not quickly evaporate. A low nitrogen fertilizer now and then might be needed to replace the minerals that leech away due to all the watering. After all, the roots remain growing while the part above the soil takes a winter break.

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

Yes, they can be grown in a pot successfully although they will need frequent waterings and somewhat frequent fertilizing & amending since the waterings will leech the minerals down below. If you go on vacation, see if someone will water it for you on the same schedule and the same amt of water. Ditto for fertilizers and amendments.

• PRO
    lickity split
    9 years ago

I live in a Winter Haven between Tampa and Orlando and have an endless summer I planted over a year ago on the north west side on my house (disappointed it happens to be in the back yard) it's over doubled in size and has probably 20 buds about to explode and bloom. I gave it about 1/4 what the bag said of the hydrangea acidic stuff purchased at the big orange store down the road. I water it daily during the summer about a gallon but have missed days even a week. They come right back but you have to plant them on north west corner. I'm trying one under oak shade now between a hedge I think it will do well. Full sun forget it. They let you know right away they are too hot or need water by the leaves. I'll tell you I have a few and have set them under hedges in pots and didn't they I thought were dead but a lot of water brings them back. Will post picture later!

• Stacey Randazzo
    8 years ago

Shelly - your dessert rose is looking very nice to. I am in south Florida but just love Hydrangeas. May try growing some in a pot on the patio, next to my dessert rose.

• PRO
    lickity split
    7 years ago

My Winter Haven Fl. Hydrangea. I happened back on this post. This pic was taken today. I made a mistake in post above its planted on the north EAST corner. All my north west attempts didn't grow. No worries these transplant easily. I actually rescue these thing about dead by the curb for trash pic up after Mother's Day ect. They come right back. I used a lot of acid hydrangea fertilizer but still pink, some blue, some purple. My potted ones are blue but this is in grove sand and I guess acidic washes right past the roots. After bloom I cut the dried mops off as close as I could to blossom and after winter was getting spider mites (I'm guessing) and dead leaves that looked bad so I noticed the leaves pulled off by grabbing and pulling down each one even the stiff ones I mean it looked bad only leaving a couple of the more healthy leaves. That was a couple months ago and it's back. The only thing I wouldn't do is cut the stems, if you do you'll have no growth on it for a long time or ever but from the stalk you'll get all new it's like you can't kill these things if they are planted in the wrong spot (excluding sun) they'll just get stumped and hard key do anything until you transplant then they take off.I haven't been successful growing them under trees even with the right light at all. On your north east corner you'll want only like 4 hours of sun then shade the rest of the day hopefully you'll have a perfect spot where you can enjoy it