Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwk001

Just purchased an Invincibelle, the pink H. arborescens

dwk001
14 years ago

Invincibelle (aka 'Spirit') is out there in limited release this fall. Just purchased one in a 2-gal container at The Growing Place in Aurora, IL, a couple of days ago, covered in now-dark-pink clusters up to 3" in diameter. Planted it in partial shade, and am really looking forward to seeing what it does next year on new wood.

Comments (24)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

I've seen pictures of "Invincibelle"; really pretty! Hope you enjoy it as it gets bigger.

Lois in PA

• madeyna
    14 years ago

I didn,t even know there was a pink one coming out. Thats really cool. None of the nurserys around me carry the newest hydrangeas.

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

dwk001~You know you're obligated to post a pic of your new baby, don't you? Please! :)

• dwk001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, prairiegirl, here are photos of my Invincibelle:

• macgyver2009
    14 years ago

Very pretty. I can't wait to get one. None of the nurseries around me have gotten them in yet. It is nice to see that it looks as good in your pictures as in the promotional materials.

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

Yum! Thanks so much for posting the pics dwk, it so much better than the promotional material, to see it in someone's garden. That may be just what I need in place of the Neon Flash spirea I planted in too much shade. Please let us know (see) how the blooms age, I guess they would turn brown? You may not know yourself yet, but do they start out green, like Annabelle? I am very excited by the arrival of a pink smooth hydrangea, I had been looking at 'Dharuma' but already have a panicle (QF) and want to try a variety of species. I am also concerned that I don't have enough sun to avoid getting "dirty socks" blooms, this could be the one. Thanks again!! :)

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting it. I like the salmon pink.

• lsimms
    14 years ago

Lucky, lucky you. I'm ordering it via my garden center right now! What's better than an Annabelle...a PINK Annabelle!

Woohoo.

• dcludwig
    14 years ago

I'm very interested! Can anyone tell me how shade tolerant this plant is?

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

How very pretty! Plants Delight has it in their catalog (could be their only shrub? it was pretty special to them).

• ego45
    14 years ago

I just bought it this week in 1.5G PW white pot for a hefty $30. I'm pretty much sure it will be available in HD and all over the States next spring/summer for much less money, but can't resist the urge to have it.
    Basicaly I'm paying $10-12 extra for the honor to overwinter it :-))
    BTW, it has a several swelling buds now, but I don't think it will have a chance to open them. Too late.

• MollyDog
    14 years ago

I just ordered 3 Invicibelle's. I am wondering if I can treat them as houseplants this winter and plant in the spring. I'm hoping to get some extra growth on them over the winter.

• dcludwig
    14 years ago

molly, where did you purchase these from? You are going to overwinter them as houseplants? (I don't know if I trust my cat!)

• MollyDog
    14 years ago

dcludwig: I purchased invincibelle from Garden Crossings. Just do a search on their site for invincibelle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Crossings

• MollyDog
    14 years ago

Just got my Invincibelles from Gardens Crossing. I ordered the smaller plants and am quite pleasantly surprised at the size. While they are short (10" or so) they have a multitude of stems from the base...good sign of a healthy plant. I have decided I am going to plant them instead of trying to keep them in the house.

• Tim Wood
    14 years ago

Invincibelle 'Spirit' Hydrangea has a website. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Invincibelle Spirit Website

• prairiegirlz5
    14 years ago

I am really curious to know what the blooms look like as they age. I really like the dark pink color of the new blooms, not sure about the light pink color. Do they go through a progression of shades, like other hydrangeas? Also, when do they start to bloom? I appreciate the honest opinions of actual gardeners found on this forum. Thanks!:)

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    14 years ago

Lowes here in Williamsburg has hyrangea red ribbon and pink ribbon--ever heard of them??????

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

dwk001~Please comment on the aging flower color, size of blooms and whether new and old bloom times overlap. I suspect that this pink flowered form will be the new hot ticket shrub item for the next few years, and would love to hear your comments/experience. Thanks.

• dwk001
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Prairiegirlz5, I'll let you know how the blooms age this season. Bought a 2nd Invincibelle a couple of weeks ago. Another forum member recently posted this link about another pink arborescens,'Bella Anna', with larger blooms coming onto the market.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another pink arborescens

• simplycharming
    13 years ago

Well...I bought 3...in bud and now in bloom. I really don't like the color. It just looks dull to me. Smaller blooms than I expected and not worth the money. Just my opinion but thought I would share.....waiting to see it in bloom might save some others the big buck.

• prairiegirlz5
    13 years ago

Aw simplycharming~That's too bad. I personally would love for the blooms to be smaller, but brighter pink is better. Maybe it will make up as it grows.

• ego45
    13 years ago

Last year experience: in sun location they opens bright(er)pink , but such color do not last long and become papery-pinkish within 15-20 days. In shade they opens dusty-pink and keep exactly the same color for the same 2-3 weeks without changing then start fading to washed pink to pastel-beige. So far, IMO it's just a mediocre plant from landscaping point of view, but will see what second season brings before making any definite judgement.

• orchidacea
    13 years ago

The pink color definitely is more dullish than the advertised version. But is that possible due to the younger age of the plants I have now vs the very large size that have in the promotion vid. The blooms are smaller but very numerous. My plants are 2-gallon size ones, and on avg, 30-40 tennis ball size bloomheads on all of them. That is not bad at all. Actually, if the plant is more like a blushing bride with that pink blush instead of the dusty pink, it would be super lovely. There are actually other versions of a "pink" annabelle in the mkt...see the following link for the other two...eco pink puff is the parent of invincibelle...Bailey is supposed to come out with Belle Anna next yr...suppose to have darker leaves...will see...bottomline, it remains to be seen if IV as good as advertized...my IBs are better the second yr around with very large size budheads and much thicker stems - I got my IBs as little sticks last yr, this yr, the second season, they are already as large as some fairly mature regular annabelles with very thick sturdy stems. Maybe the second season for IV will be better.

http://www.hydrangea.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=630&=SID

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH