Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Hydrangea ID

Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 11:08

I picked up this Hydrangea at the local supermarket in the florist dept. for my wife. I have had it for several years and it has maintained the pink color even though it's planted in acid soil. It has survived two of our Zone 8 winters with temps as low as the high singles. It came with no ID. Typical in a supermarket.
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Mike
Hydrangea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Hydrangea ID

that looks like my Forever and Ever Summer Lace. It has remained pink even though everything around it is blue due to the soil. I picked 2 of mine up at the grocery (Price Chopper) and 1 at Lowes, so I know groceries were selling them

o

Mike, it could also be a variety simply known as 'Pink Lacecap' - pretty creative name, huh?? Actually, I think that is a name assigned to a lot of these florist plants - the vast majority of which are unnamed (and non-patented) varieties.

FWIW, 'Summer Lace' is variable in its coloring due to soil pH - can be blue just as easily as pink. Mike - yours may even be a serrata - these tend to be nearly always lacecaps and I've found their coloring rather stable compared to most macs.

I think sometimes we rush to assign cultivar names to plants which maybe do not deserve them :-) Not all plants are registered cultivars, especially if seedling grown. Other than curiosity, is there a pressing need to ID this plant?

o

I agree; my summer lace looks just like this in structure, right down to the leaf size color and spacing. It only seems to bloom on old wood but is extremely bud hardy.

o

Hi Mike...it looks a lot like my endless summer twist-n-shout ....the flower in the pic shown is a lot darker than the one in my garden...its a pic of a pic! Good luck! Kristine

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 12:51

"I think sometimes we rush to assign cultivar names to plants which maybe do not deserve them :-) Not all plants are registered cultivars, especially if seedling grown. Other than curiosity, is there a pressing need to ID this plant?"
GardenGal

No pressing need to ID the Hydrangea. Guess I've been hanging out in the Conifer Forum too much. ;-)
Thanks for everyone's efforts.
Mike

o

Twist n shout has ruddy colored stems and darker leaves. I highly doubt the specimen in the photo would be that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here