Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ditas_gw

Story of LL ... help please!!!

ditas
13 years ago

Hello - I've posted my dilema/attempt, previously ... trying to change his nature & habit of growth w/o success. I wonder if 5y/o or older LL owners, would post pix &/or have solutions to share, for us ... struggling with similar grooming/shaping problems to learn from?

Would very much appreciate help!!!~Â;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Story of 6y/o LL

Comments (5)

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean ... but maybe you should find a bush that is meant to be clipped and structured.

You can buy hydrangea's that are in tree form ... looks like the one you bought is meant to be a big sprawling bush. Give it to someone who likes that look, and get something that better suits your space/taste.

• Tim Wood
    13 years ago

I have found that doing as little pruning as possible is the best practice for LL. The only think I've done is to remove the old flower heads in the spring and my plant looks great. If you attempt to cut the plant back hard in the spring like you would with other Pee Gees, the growth is fast and weak. So my advice is to do very little and let the plant build up some old wood.

• ditas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No offense taken Pam - several of our friends in this forum have indeed given up on LL. Ostrich gave his away ... I took a challenge as George had, in a slightly different way. I figured, that is what gardening is all about - fun in the challenges as well.

The other reason I intend to keep LL ... I have dedicated this shrub in memory of our own Little Angel ... *Little Lamb* seemed simply symbolic!

Duncan - thanks for your experience & thoughts. As you saw in the posted pix, by the 3rd season this little guy looked like a fountain of froth & I had to bundle the center canes to prevent breakage from the weight of the gigantic center blossoms. Despite the efforts the tornado that passed thru did break a few of the tall canes ... & the rest is history.

Another experienced owner suggested to prune down to a foot in Spring ... the new growths should be as he was meant to grow ... full & arching w/ his L'il Lambs gamboling w/ the breeze once more!

I'm still hoping to see pix of 5y/o & older LLs ... especially hoping for Marshall to post the recent pix of the LLs he planted en masse, 'round the flag pole of an Ohio Library!

Hoping as well, to read more ideas & thanx for responding!!! ~Â;)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Another idea would be to move LL to a location where the drooping flower heads can kind of blend in with other shrubs planted close by. I don't like to hard prune any of my hydrangeas because I prefer to have smaller but more numerous flower heads.

I moved my LL so it is no longer center stage and can be supported by other shrubs. I agree that LL wants to grow wider than it is tall.

I also love the name and want to find a way to keep the shrub. Here is my 2 year old Little Lamb amongst other shrubs. Apologies for the yellow leaves, I could not keep up on the watering in this hot dry summer.

{{gwi:1019648}}

• ditas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi - everyone must be busy ... have not read any, more recent thoughts on *to prune or not to prune* ... no older LL photos either.

I'll wait 'til before pruning time with hopes of more suggestions.

TIA!!! ~�;)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus