Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Landscape Fabric Ok to Use?

Posted by janegael 6a CT (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 12:29

I have a roll of landscape fabric that I bought last year to help prevent weeds. I've never used it but have a new Endless Summer in a small bed that I would like not to have to weed.

My question is if the fabric will prevent the bush from getting enough moisture or in any way harm the bush?

Thanks a lot,
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Landscape Fabric Ok to Use?

It probably depends on how big of an area is covered by the fabric, how much water is supplied when you water the plant, how much of the water makes it to the plant roots, etc. Since roots tend to chase minerals and water, the shrub might grow and concentrate roots near the area where there is sufficient water for the roots to develop and thrive. The further away from this area, the less "active" roots. It is possible that in future years, the plant's health may decline if the roots stay where water is near but exhaust the available minerals from that limited area. You could compensate by removing the fabric, fertilizing under it and putting it back yearly. If you do that then all you have to worry about is the roots' tendency for staying close to where they can get to the water. Think: root bound potted plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here